20050124: Unidata McIDAS-XCD Trouble (cont.)

>From: "James T. Brown" <address@hidden>

Hi Jim,

>Thanks again for all you help in trying to solve this problem.
>
>Thanks for you additional suggestions.  Just a couple of quick points.
>
>1) I did use the compile settings that you added to the .cshrc
>   file.  I simply just entered them from the command-line whenever
>   I prepared to build.  Guess it makes a lot more sense to add to
>   the .cshrc file

OK.  Since compile messages from the packages included with McIDAS
do not get added to the McIDAS makelog file, I was not aware of
you doing this.  It does make sense now that you tell me, however,
since /usr/ucb/cc would be used as the C compiler otherwise.

>2) I have decided to move the McIDAS build to the ACCAS machine.

I rebuilt McIDAS on accas, not on pileus.

>   It is a quicker machine, it is running the LDM and it houses
>   the "/data/mcidas" folder so I will install and run the XCD
>   decoders and setup the ADDE services on ACCAS instead of PILEUS.

It is always a good idea to build McIDAS on the machine that is running
the LDM if you are using the XCD decoders.  It prevents weird inconsistencies
like unfound shared libraries especially when the different machines
are running different versions of the same OS.

>   I will have to configure the firewall on ACCAS to allow remote
>   connections to the ADDE services, but that shouldn't be much
>   trouble - can even restrict access a little more efficiently
>   if needed as well.

OK.

>3) After I move to ACCAS, I will take a closer look at your
>   suggestions concerning the NOAAPort.  I will temporarily
>   disable connection to the NOAAPort feed while testing to
>   determine if the MDxx files are created properly.

I think that the problem is that few textual obs are actually being
processed by 'xcd_run DDS'.  It makes a lot of sense to me (or, at
least it did at 2:30 this morning) since XCD starts decoding data
very soon after LDM startup, but then much less after the LDM has been
running for a bit (like after a pqing has added data from your
NOAAPORT box).

By the way, I am curious about which NOAAPORT system you are using.

>I am a little busy at the moment and may not get to all of this
>until this afternoon.  I will certainly send an update after
>everything is moved and running on the ACCAS (LDM) machine.

OK.