20041022: imgdisp error

>From: "Luis A. Lopez" <address@hidden>

Hi Luis,

>I'm geting this error with some of my scripts that do reference to the
>RTIMAGES/GE-WV command:
>
>imgdisp.k: Image data server unable to resolve this dataset: RTIMAGES/GE-WV
>
>Last time that I installed mcidas, I also installed ldm, but this time I did
>not installed because I don't want to save any data on my server, just get
>the image from other servers.  Please tell me if I need to do anything
>else.  The version of mcidas is mcidas2004.

With a new install of McIDAS you have to setup "pointing" to datasets
that you want to use.  Pointing in McIDAS terms is accomplished by
running the command DATALOC, and DATALOC tells McIDAS which server you
want to access for a dataset.

In an attempt to make it easier to setup DATALOCs to community data
servers that have ADDE datasets, I include a McIDAS BATCH file named
DATALOC.BAT in the ~mcidas/data directory.  The person installing
McIDAS needs to make a copy of DATALOC.BAT, edit the copy to setup
pointing to various well known datasets, and then make the setup active
in a McIDAS session:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas/data
cp DATALOC.BAT LOCDATA.BAT
<edit LOCDATA.BAT and set the server to use for the various datasets listed>
cd ~mcidas/workdata
batch.k LOCDATA.BAT

The MCGUI interface to McIDAS will use the information setup in the
steps above, and it gives an interface that allows you to do the
DATALOCs through a graphical widget:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas/workdata

start a McIDAS-X session:
  mcidas -config
  - click the radiobutton to run the MCGUI
  - click the radiobutton to save setup changes
  - start McIDAS with the MCGUI

From the MCGUI, click on the ADDE Client Routing Table setup button
(just to the right of the button with the red 'Z').  From the widget
that pops up, work your way through each data type and dataset
selecting a server to get the data from.  Which server you will choose
is governed by the one that gives you the best service.  The GUI widget
simply runs a series of DATALOC commands to setup access to the various
data servers for the various datasets.

The process above should become much more clear during the workshop
next week.

>Thanks again, I'll meet you on next tuesday at the workshop.

I am looking forward to meeting you in person!