20041005: McIDAS makefile problem? (cont.)

>From: "Patrick L. Francis" <address@hidden>

Hi Patrick,

>jeff said he is heading down the hall to show you...
>he has an account (and root access) so you guys
>can get in there and dig around..
>
>essentially from
>/home/mcidas/mcidas2004/src
>
>diff makefile  makefile.zig
>
>is where it was left off..
>note makelog... after
>added packages :)

I poked around on unidata and did a few of things:

- finished defining needed environment variables in ~mcidas/.bash_profile
  as per:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/2004/users_guide/PreparingthemcidasAccount.html

- moved the current ~mcidas/mcidas2004/src directory to
  ~mcidas/mcidas2004/src.bgsu

- unpacked the McIDAS v2004 distribution from source (to start fresh)

After doing this, the build went with no hiccups:

cd ~/mcidas2004/src
make                 <- makes McIDAS-X
make xcd             <- makes McIDAS-XCD
make install.all     <- installs everything that was built

Then I noticed that 'mcidas' and 'mcadde' are in the same group (good),
but they are not in the same group as 'ldm' (not recommended).  So,
taking liberty seeing as how we have 'root' access, I changed the group
for both 'mcidas' and 'mcadde' to 'ldm'.

I also took the opportunity to go ahead and install the McIDAS remote
ADDE server.  This was done as 'root' in /home/mcidas:

<as 'root'>
cd /home/mcidas
sh ./mcinet2004.sh install mcadde

Jeff and I looked around at the LDM setup on unidata and saw that the
LDM is running and _trying_ to run GEMPAK decoders, but they have not
been copied to the ~ldm/decoders/directory.  Also, we noticed that
~ldm/decoders appears to have the netCDF decoders directory hierarchy.
The typical installation has the user create ~ldm/decoders and
~ldm/util and then copy needed decoders (like GEMPAK dc* decoders and
ldm-mcidas decoders like pnga2area, etc.) there.  This is not quite
what you have going at this point.

Also, we noticed that the LDM queue, ldm.pq, is now located in the HOME
directory of the user 'ldm'.  This is also non-standard.

Anyway, we can assist you in standardizing your installation if you
like.  I will want to press for a standardization so that your life
will be easier down the road (ours too :-).

Cheers,

Tom and Jeff