20040930: McIDAS compile error

>From: "Luis A. Lopez" <address@hidden>

Hi Luis,

>How are you??.

I am well, thanks.  I would be better if you had not run into this problem
building McIDAS under Suse :-)

>I'm recompiling mcidas on a Linux (Suse) box and got this error:
>
>gcc -c -O -I. -I../netcdf/libsrc -I../hdf/hdf/src -I../hdf/mfhdf/libsrc
>-I../jpeg -I../
>zlib -I../tiff/libtiff -I../libgeotiff mct_winc.c
>mct_winc.c:29:20: curses.h: No such file or directory
>mct_winc.c:31:53: term.h: No such file or directory
>mct_winc.c:50: error: parse error before '*' token
>mct_winc.c:50: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
>mct_winc.c:51: error: parse error before '*' token
>mct_winc.c:51: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
>mct_winc.c: In function `init_curs':
>mct_winc.c:185: error: `LINES' undeclared (first use in this function)
>mct_winc.c:185: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
>mct_winc.c:185: error: for each function it appears in.)
>mct_winc.c:186: error: `COLS' undeclared (first use in this function)
> it sto compiling mct_winc.c
>
>The compiler is gnu gcc 3.3.4

It looks as if your OS installation does not include the curses header
files and possibly the curses library.  Can you check to see if these
are, in fact, installed but not being found by the McIDAS build process?

If they are not, you will need to install the package that contains
curses support.

Also, can you send along more specifics on the Suse distribution you
are using?  The reason I ask is that one of my users has had problems
building McIDAS-X under Slackware 9.0.  The problem he ran into is a
result of 'make' having some sort of strange error where it doesn't add
all needed entry points to the libsdi.a library.  I bring this up since
Suse might also have the same problem.  For comparison, RedHat 8, 9, WS
3, Fedora Core 1, and Fedora Core 2 do _not_ see the same problem.

>Thanks for your help.

No worries.

>|(:-imagination is more important than knowledge...!|

Hey, I like this line!