20040816: ADDE server log file (cont.)

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

re: The best way to check this is:

>> <login as 'mcidas'>
>> cd workdata
>> dmap.k SERVER.LOG
>
>It comes back with:
>
>/home/mcidas/workdata/SERVER.LOG
>
>Last written in 2002!

OK.  I would move this to the ~ldm/logs directory.

>As user "mcidas", I was able to do a "touch MCIDAS.LOG" in /home/ldm/logs
>with no errors, so I dunno why it is still doing this. The message doesn't
>show what directory or the file it is trying to write to. That would
>help for a future release (hint hint :-) ).

The procedure I sent above allows you as the user 'mcidas' to find out
which file is to be written.

I moved ~mcidas/workdata/SERVER.LOG to /home/ldm/logs.  I then "taught"
McIDAS to look for all files named SERVER.* in the LDM logs directory:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd workdata
redirect.k ADD SERVER.\* \"/home/ldm/logs

Now, the ADDE server log file is in the ~ldm/logs directory; is being
updated when remote ADDE transactions occur; and can be interrogated
by the McIDAS command ADDEINFO:

<still as 'mcidas'>
cd workdata
addeinfo.k

The last setup step is to have this log file rotated on a regular
basis.  This is done through a crontab entry of the user 'ldm':

# McIDAS ADDE Remote Server Logging
1 0 * * 6 bin/newlog logs/SERVER.LOG 3; chmod 666 logs/SERVER.LOG

Since this crontab entry was already setup, I am at a loss to understand
how/when the McIDAS pointing (REDIRECTion) was either not setup or
was lost.

All is well now.

>From address@hidden  Mon Aug 16 12:39:48 2004

Hi Tom,

re: I am at a loss to understand how/when the McIDAS pointing (REDIRECTion)
was either not setup or

>Yes, I don't understand how it was lost, either. It was working. Hmmm.

re: All is well now.

E-mail: address@hidden                                               ***