20040813: IMGDISP keyword: ALL

>From: "Kwan-yin Kong" <address@hidden>

Hi Kwan-yin,

>      Good day.  Over the last few days, I've been working
>on the installation of McIDAS 2004 here at CCNY.  The
>installation was completed yesterday, and McIDAS 2004
>appears to be running smoothly so far.

Sounds good!

>      As I tried out McIDAS 2004 yesterday, I attempted to
>load a series of images using the IMGDISP command.  What I
>wanted to do was to display a loop of all the available
>images within a specific hour.  It appeared to me that the
>ALL keyword of the IMGDISP command should do the job.  The
>command line I entered was
>
>IMGDISP NEXRCOMP/1KN0R-NAT 1 DAY=04/08/11 TIM=17:00 17:59
>ALL=1 12 EU=BREF24 LAT=40 78
>
>I soon found out that this command does not work for some
>hours, in which cases an error message saying "No images
>satisfy the selection criteria" was shown.  I later found
>out that the reason the command did not work for these
>hours was because there were missing image(s) so that
>there was a total of less than 12 images within those
>hours.

I just ran the following command successfully:

IMGDISP NEXRCOMP/1KN0R-FLT ALL=1 50 EU=BREF24 SF=YES REFRESH='EG GRA=(GRA);MAP
H GRA=(GRA)' TIME=20:00 20:59

For reference, the time is now 21:30, so I am asking for all images
for a previous hour for which there were 11.

>I checked the McIDAS web user's guide on the ALL
>keyword of IMGDISP.  It says that IMGDISP would work even
>if the total number of images in the section is less than
>what's specified in ALL.

Yes, and it did for me.  It will and should fail, however, if there are
no images in the TIME= range you specify.

>I tried to use the REP keyword,
>but it requires a position number, which I do not know if
>I run the command in a script.

You probably want to stay with the ALL= keyword.

>The CYC and SEQ keywords did not seem to work either.

They work for me, but I don't think that they give you
the controls that you want.

>      Another question I have in mind is regarding the
>point source surface data.  Are sea-surface temperatures
>decoded for ships and buoy data?

Yes.  The ship and buoy data that is decoded is made accessible
in the RTPTSRC/SHIPBUOY dataset.

>If yes, is there a
>parameter name (e.g. SST) for plotting using SFCPLOT?

The parameter for temperature will be T.  Here is a simple example:

SF 1
ERASE
SFCPLOT T NACONF DAT=RTPTSRC/SHIPBUOY

>      Thanks again.