20040727: McIDAS-X v2004 build problems on OSF/1 4.0F (cont.)

>From: "Tonkin, Martha E." <address@hidden>

Hi Martha,

>Tom, Tom, Tom,

I am glad you took my salutation for the good humor I meant it to be :-)

re: cheery note
>I wanted to insure your job security. <gr>

It is always nice to have folks looking out for my welfare ;-)

re: which version of the Tiff library did you end up using

>I ended up installing libtiff 3.6.0.  I did continue to have
>problems with libtiff, however, especially in the initial
>config when make mcx is run.  I ended up going to the libgeotiff
>directory and running its configure specifying the location
>of our libtiff directory, then restarting make mcx. Later in the build,
>in the link for geotaput which initially failed, I ended up explicitly
>pointing to /usr/local/lib, where the libtiff I built was located.
>(Attached is a file showing the exact link command for geotaput).
>I see that you are shipping libtiff with McIdas, so apparently
>the OSF loader was not looking in the proper place in the McIdas2004
>subdirectory but instead was looking for libtiff somewhere else.

Ah Ha!  I understand this one...  This is another instance of the
linker on OSF/1 4.0x not working as it should.  By the way, this problem
apparently goes away with OSF/1 5 aka Tru64.

I believe that you should change ~mcidas/mcidas2004/makefile to force
it to correctly link using the version of the Tiff library distributed
with McIDAS:

change:

GEOTIFFARGS             = -L. -L$(PKGGEOTIFF) -L$(PKGTIFF)/libtiff -lsdi
-lmcidas -lgeotiff -ltiff

to:

GEOTIFFARGS             = -L. -L$(PKGGEOTIFF) -lsdi -lmcidas -lgeotiff
$(PKGTIFF)/libtiff/libtiff.a

You may need to do the same thing for the geotiff library:

GEOTIFFARGS             = -L. -lsdi -lmcidas $(PKGGEOTIFF)/libgeotiff.a
$(PKGTIFF)/libtiff/libtiff.a

I will include this mod to 'makefile' in an addendum sometime in the future.
Again, this is a problem with the OSF/1 4.0x linker, not with McIDAS.

re: setting default values for the array 'syntax'
Was your solution in both cases:

        data syntax/10*char(0)/

>No, Compaq Fortran won't accept that.

OK, this is good to know.

>What I did was add a do loop as in the other attached file.

        do 1208 i=1,10
                syntax(i)=char(0)
1208    continue

OK.  I will look at this further on another round of builds.

re: One "solution" would be:

touch a.o
make libmcidas.a
make mcx

>This is what I ended up doing - a.o was there, just not in the library.

OK, so my surmise was correct.  This is because the time maintained on
the modules is only accurate down to one second.  This is an OSF/1
deficiency.

>So in any case, we are up and running with 2004 on our OSF 4.0f Alpha.

Excellent.

>Thanks for your help, and if anything I wrote is not clear, please let me
>know.

It was all very clear, thanks for the info.