20040727: MODIS data available via ADDE

>From: Greg Stossmeister <address@hidden>

Hi Greg,

>    I have two additional questions for you, one related to GOES imagery
>and the other to polar orbiter data. First regarding GOES...Is there a
>function in McIDAS that would allow me to look at the % areal coverage
>of my remapped sector such that I could test for full coverage and
>discard (before making a gif for example) any partial images? What I'm
>thinking is with regard to the script you built for me. If you remember
>I was using a sector that covered mostly Mexico. That area is only fully
>imaged by a North American or full disk scan. I would like to produce
>gif files of only those sectors, however, if I run the script from cron,
>I will be unaware whether the satellite is doing a routine scan, or
>rapid or super-rapid scans. I was thinking if I can check on the
>coverage of the remapped sector it will be obvious when I have the
>sectors I want and when I'got something else.

I can offer a couple of things in response to this:

1) the output from IMGLIST tells you how large the original sector is
   and where the center point of the image is.  You can use this
   information to infer the coverage over the area of interest.

2) you could use ASTAT to get some statistics back from the image
   and see how much of it is blank (black).

>    With regard to Polar Orbiter data - I took a look at the MODIS data
>available from nanuk.eosdis.nasa.gov . It is impressive! Is there a
>simple way to invert the image in McIDAS so North is always up

I don't think sol.

>or is this something only corrected by IMGREMAP?

I would say that it would be something to be 'done' not 'corrected'
by IMGREMAP.

>Thanks,

No worries.