20040726: McIDAS localization question

>From: Tiziana Cherubini <address@hidden>

Hi Tiziana,

>       I have a question for you about Mcidas localization
>domain. As I told you I have now access to GOES-10 data (10
>bit resolution...) and I set up a batch script to transfer
>on our server only the portion of the GOES10 full disk that we
>need for our assimilation purposes. The area coverage that we
>need is approximatly: 185W;135W and 0N;40N.

OK.

>In my script I'm running the imgcopy command with the option
>LATLON=20 157.5 (center of our domain) and SIZE=4200 7400
>for the visible channel (~1 km resolution). The size is scaled
>for the other channels accordingly to the change in resolution.

OK.  I just ran the following command successfully while pointing
at an ADDE dataset that has the full set of GOES-West imagery:

IMGCOPY WEST/NH MYDATA/IMAGES.1234 LAT=20 157.5 SIZE=4200 7400 BAND=1

The image was centered like you are intending and the areal extent
is again what you want.

>In this way I should get a domain that has 4200 lines and 7400
>pixels centered on LATLON, isn't it?

Yes.

>The problem is that sometime,
>when I pass the satellite data to our assimilation program, I
>get error message indicating that the satellite coverage isn't
>the correct one.

>It looks like the SIZE that I'm getting isn't
>centered on what indicated in the LATLON parameter... of course
>I could get the full disk, but, for storage purposes, I'd like
>to get just the area that we need.

In order to troubleshoot this, you should get a full listing of the
image that was copied.  For my example above, the listing command would
be:

IMGLIST MYDATA/IMAGES.1234 FORM=ALL

The next thing is to display the image (massively blown down) and
verify that the areal extent is what you want:

IMGDISP MYDATA/IMAGES.1234 MAG=-9
MAP H 1 LALO -2 INT=5 5

>Could you please help me in setting the right flag for the
>imgcopy command?

It sounds like you are setting the keywords for IMGCOPY correctly,
but letting me see your full command line would be helpful.  Even
more helpful would be a listing of your script.

I would first list out info on the image that was copied and
display it to verify that it is what you want.

>Thanks a lot!

No worries.

>From address@hidden  Mon Jul 26 20:00:28 2004

Hi Tom,

        thanks. I've done as you said and now I know what the
problem is: I need to enlarge the image size a bit on the southern
edge! But thanks for the tips! They've been really useful.
Mahalo,

                Tiziana.