20040720: Unidata McIDAS-X v2004 build on gizmo (cont.)

>From: Patrick Dills <address@hidden>

Hi Patrick,

>A successful build!  That long awaited end tag in 'makelog' is indeed a
>Mc'sight for sorry Mc'eyes.  And the MCIDAS exe seems to be running
>happily, as 'gizmo' slogs along.

One thing I forgot to remind you to do was to change the runtime link
in ~mcidas.  The setup on gizmo is for 'runtime' to be a link to the
distribution of McIDAS you want to use.  It is currently set to use
the original v2003 build, not the new v2004 build.

What you need to do to change this is:

- make sure no McIDAS applications are running
<login as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas
rm runtime
ln -s mcidas04 runtime

After this, you will be using the newly built v2004 executables.

>I've compiled a journal covering all our experiences thru to the spin
>cycle which will hopefully serve as an internal 'help' file...for that
>next time around ;-)

Sounds good.  Add the steps above to the list.

>A quick question.  Any local apps I compile now I should be able to
>tackle with the following two invocations, correct ?
>
>...assuming for the time being my modified code lives in:
>/pub/mcidas/mcidas2004/src
>
>>make mcx VENDOR=-g77
>>make install.mcxall

If by local apps you mean modifications to applications in the v2004
distribution, then yes -- but doing a 'make install.mcxall' is overkill
since it reinstalls everything, and that takes a long time on gizmo.

If you mean new applications (applications with different names than
ones in the v2004 distribution, then I think that we should setup a
build environment that is outside of the mcidas2004/src directory
since this would make your life easier as time goes on.