20040609: mcidas upgrade .. (cont.)

>From:  "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Marianne=20K=F6nig?=" <address@hidden>

Hi Marianne,

>Why on Earth are you working on your email at this time of night?

Two of us are trying to get work through a problem caused by
a huge power hit caused by very thunderstorms that went through
Boulder this evening.  The power got knocked out at the NCAR
Mesa Lab which is where our primary IDD machine is located.
Our system administrator got a backup machine housed at Unidata
online to take up the load, but the load was more than it could
handle, so he called me to see if I had any ideas on how to
improve the situation.  I have been working on reducing the
system load for about an hour now, and the effort is paying off
(yes!).

I can dash off notes to you since I have to wait to see the
effects of changes I make before I can take new steps.

>We will give the 2004 a try - and yes, I simply do the "normal" ssec
>procedure.

OK.  At some point you really should try using the Unidata distribution
of McIDAS.  I think that my procedures are easier to use since
they don't hide what is going on in a script that the user runs
instead of 'make' :-)