20040605: Mcidas question

>From: "Luis A. Lopez" <address@hidden>

Hi Luis,

>I would like to know if it is possible to get data from Doppler radar
>using Mcidas.  Thank you.

Right now, McIDAS can use the NEXRAD Level III products that are
generated at the radar's PUP.  Your system should be setup to be able
to access the RTNEXRAD dataset, and it contains those products.  If you
are not ingesting the NNEXRAD datafeed using your LDM (I looked for
real time stats for a machine from the UPRM domain and didn't see any),
you can access the imagery off of one or more of the cooperating
community servers I setup.  From the McIDAS MCGUI interface, bring up
the Client Routing Table configure GUI (left click on the button with
the two computers on it (just to the right of the red Z) and then click
on IMAGE.  From the dropdown for the RTNEXRAD dataset, select one of
the servers that has the data.  I suggest trying atm.geo.nsf.gov or
adde.ucar.edu first.  After updating and exiting that GUI, click on the
Display dropdown and select Images and then RTNEXRAD.  A selection GUI
will popup and present you with a list of stations reporting Level III
products on the server being pointed at.  One part of the GUI will be
list of products that can be available for each radar.  The default
will be N0R which is the base reflectivity at tilt 1.  Select the
NEXRAD you want to look at (e.g., JUA for San Juan) and then click do
the display.

If you are asking of McIDAS can access the NEXRAD Level II data (full
volume scan), then the answer is no, not yet.