20040525: composites of MSG Imagery with GOES

>From: "Tonkin, Martha E." <address@hidden>

Hi Martha,

>We are beginning to download MSG data via McIdas.  We use a
>McIdas-related app called gimiglue to join together imagery from Goes.
>Is there any counterpart to gimiglue for MSG that you know of?

I have not composited MSG with GOES, but I have made composites from
Meteosat-6/7 and GOES.  I did this using standard McIDAS commands
like IMGREMAP rolled into a script.  Other than compositing, what does
'gimiglue' do?

>Thanks.
>Martha Tonkin

>From address@hidden  Tue May 25 09:41:16 2004

Hi Martha,

There is nothing in core McIDAS and we have not heard of any updates to
gimiglue for combining multiple MSG bands into a single McIDAS area.

There will be a fastrack to McIDAS-2004 allowing IMGCOPY to transfer
multiple bands.

Rick Kohrs
McIDAS Help Desk

>From address@hidden  Tue May 25 13:12:48 2004

gimiglue takes multiple single banded gvar images and combines them into
a single multibanded image.  Nothing to do with compositing.  Right now
IMGCOPY can only copy single bands of MSG.

Rick

>From address@hidden  Tue May 25 13:13:45 2004

Tom,

gimiglue.k basically "glued" individual bands together into a
multi-band image. I believe it was created for GOES-9 after it was
moved to the WPAC and started producing the images but for 1 file per
band. not sure why. we use gimiglue.k to put them back together again.

for MSG and Meteosat 7 and 5 we want to do the same thing.

thanks,
Randy