20040422: reading non-McIDAS files into McIDAS (cont.)

>From: Paul Ruscher <address@hidden>

Paul,

>Thanks, Tom, for your reply - trying to resurrect an old project idea
>here - we use Direct Met and Quorum hardware and software to process
>GVAR imagery in house but am trying to convert the imagery to AREA
>files or something else we can use with GARP and McIDAS and I know
>McIDAS has some built-in GVAR functionality.

OK.  I was looking through the McIDAS GVAR ADDE server code yesterday
evening to see what it would take to get you setup to serve this
data directly.  I believe that I understand the various pieces of
the puzzle, but I wanted to grab your data and see if I can make
things work before sending you instructions.

>I've asked our sysadmin
>to try to get some space on our ftp server - I put my Mac to sleep last
>night which is why you could not get the images, probably!  It is up
>now.  Paul

I don't need to FTP the data now that your Mac is accessible.  I
just grabbed the three files that Joe told me about in a previous
email, so I will be able to try and setup ADDE serving of your
'raw' GVAR data sometime later today.  Again, I think I understand
what must be done, but since I have never done it before, I want
to work through the process to understand all of the steps before
sending along thoughts.

>From address@hidden  Fri Apr 23 07:02:00 2004

Hi, Tom - if this all works I would have no objection to the concept
(without thinking much about it or talking to any hardware/net people)
of sharing our GVAR data outside FSU, either, if such a backup site
would be useful for anyone.  Thanks much for your help!  The data now
reside on our ftp server, too - ftp://ftp.met.fsu.edu/pub/ruscher/GVAR.

Paul