20040326: Mollweide IR

>From: "Edward Hindman" <address@hidden>

Hi Ward,

>We continue to run McIDAS-X 2002a (we plan an upgrade
>after the semester ends).

Please be aware that I make a new release of McIDAS available as
quickly as I can after getting a new release from SSEC.  In practice,
the work I have to do to turn the SSEC distribution into the Unidata
distribution (lots of extra routines, bug fixes, a mergering of
McIDAS-X and McIDAS-XCD, and the generation of appropriate web pages)
usually takes me about 1.5 months so that an SSEC release received by
me at the beginning of June gets converted and released to the Unidata
community by the end of July/beginning of August.  So, I would
recommend waiting to upgrade until the new Unidata McIDAS release,
v2004, is available.  This way you won't be continuously 1 year behind
in your McIDAS distribution.

>We have a problem retrieving a temperature from a mollweide IR image.
>For example, we load the current mollweide IR image either
>through the F-key menu or McGUI.  When we hit the "Alt"
>and "D" keys, when the cursor is on the image, we get the
>following IMGPROBE diagnostic:
>
>IMGPROBE: Units requested are not available for the image
>IMGPROBE: Unable to setup search conditions
>
>When we perform the same senario on a GOES-W or -E IR
>image, we obtain the surface temperature as expected.

OK.  I hadn't done a probe of the Mollweide IR images in quite awhile.
I just loaded one of the images and interrogated here using the v2003
McIDAS distribution, and I get the same failure as you.  In addition, I
note that the problem also occurs for the MOLL-WV images.

>If we upgrade to the newest McIDAS-X release, will this
>problem go away?

No.  The problem is in the image, not in McIDAS.  I will need to
investigate further.

<a few minutes later>

I see the problem.  Word 51 (zero based) in both the MOLL-IR and
MOLL-WV images currently being sent in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream
(IDD feedtype UNIWISC aka MCIDAS) are set to 'PRD '.  They should be
'VISR'.  This is obviously a problem in the compositing routine used to
generate the images.  Since I don't have direct access to this machine,
I will need to work with folks at SSEC to get the problem corrected.

Do you have a set of images that you want to be able to interrogate?
If yes, you can change the particular word in the image in McIDAS so
that IMGPROBE will work.  Please let me know so I can help you
implement the procedure.  If, on the other hand, you are using remote
access to the RTIMAGES dataset, then you will not be able to correct
the problem yourself.