20040319: strange ADDE issue on newpsn (RH 9) (cont.)

>From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>

Robert,

>Well,  I just tried it again on my RH 9 box here at Universal and no dice.
>It resolves the IP address correctly but simply won't contact it, even
>though I can ssh to it.   I can do DATALOC ADD RTIMAGES adde.ucar.edu,
>all is fine.

Hmm...  The tests I ran were from a Sun Solaris SPARC 5.9 machine.
I just jumped onto a machine here running Fedora Core 1 (yarrow)
and ran the set of tests -- they all work.  One thing that was
strange, however, is that the commands all took a long time to
get a return back from newpsn.

Next, I SSHed to newpsn (connection was quick; load average is low),
and ran 'top' for the user 'mcadde' with refresh rate set to 1 second.
I then ran an IMGDISP command from McIDAS-X running under Fedora Core 1
and watched to see how long it would take to get the server processes
running -- it took a long time: about 30 seconds!  Once the server was
started, however, the data request was processed quickly (as you might
expect from a dual 2.4 Ghz P4 machine).

I cranked up a McIDAS-X session running on Sun Solaris SPARC and
ran the exact same IMGDISP command, and it was quick -- it took
about 1 second for the transaction to start!

>I saw this same thing from my RH WS3 box at home.

There is something that is slowing the connection when _coming_
from a machine running Linux!!

>Same symptom...point to another machine and all is well, point to
>newpsn.nsbf.nasa.gov and it doesn't work.

Weird!!!

>I am completely at a loss.

Ditto.  I will have to run some additional monitoring tools on
both client and server while a connection attempt is in progress
to see what may be going on.  I will, of course, report anything
that I learn.

>Thanks,

No worries.

>From address@hidden  Fri Mar 19 16:10:02 2004