20040311: McIDAS problem at UPR

>From: "Luis A. Lopez" <address@hidden>

Hi Luis,

I apologize for not being able to respond to your email before now,
but I just returned from Costa Rica on Wednesday night, and I was
then involved in committee meetings all day Thursday and half a day
today.

>  My name is Luis Lopez, I work for the University of Puerto Rico at
>Mayaguez.  I'm trying to compile Mcidas2003 in a SUN computer running
>Solaris 8 (gcc and Sun compilers). I include the errors that I get when I
>do sh mcinst.sh.  It seem that there are missing files, but I could not
>find them on the extracted files. It exists any readme/documentation step
>by step on how to compile Mcidas?  I'll appreciate your help.  Thank you in
>advance.
>sh mcinst.sh  make
>mcinst.sh: WARNING: cannot find mcinst.sp (no disk space checking will be
>done)
>mcinst.sh: ERROR: cannot find 'mcinst.tar' or 'mcinst.tar.Z'

Please do not use mcinst.sh to build Unidata McIDAS.  Instead, do the
following:

1) define all Unix environmnent variables needed for McIDAS in the 'mcidas'
   account.  Please reference the Unidata McIDAS web pages to see the
   list of environment variables you need to define, and how to define
   them:

Unidata McIDAS HomePage
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/index.html

  Installation and Configuration
  http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/2003/index.html

    Initial Preparations
    http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/2003/mcx/prepare_mcx.html

      Prepare the mcidas and mcadde Accounts
      http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/2003/mcx/mcxacct.html

A second page you need to look at for additional environment variables to
define (referenced off of the 'Prepare the mcidas and mcadde Accounts' page)
is:

Notes and Warnings
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/2003/mcx/warnings_mcx.html#netcdf

2) after the environment variables presented in the two pages above are
   defined, then you build the McIDAS distribution by:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd mcidas203
make all VENDOR=-gcc

You did not say in your message if you are trying to build using gcc
and f2c, or if you are trying to build using gcc and g77.  If you are
using the gcc/g77 combination, the make invocation to build McIDAS
is slightly different:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd mcidas203
make all VENDOR=-g77

Please let me know if you continue to have problems building McIDAS on
your Sun SPARC system.