20040224: McIDAS Question and LDM upgrade

>From: Richard Massa <address@hidden>

Richard,

>I've installed mcidas-x 2003a on a machine.  However, once I've opened up
>mcidas, I can't seem to use the old LA command.

LA was retired since it is a non-ADDE command, and McIDAS has evolved
into a client-server arcitecture that allows one to ask about information
on both local and remote servers.

>I see in the source files a la.pgm.  Is there something I need to do to get
>this compiled?  Is this a deprecated command?  If so, what is the equivalent?

I still include sunsetted commands in the Unidata distribution so that
folks that can't live without an old favorite can still build them.
I make no guarantees that the command will function correctly, so
I advise folks to start learing the ADDE commands that took the place
of the old, non-ADDE commands.  It might be useful for you to read
through the McIDAS Learning Guide to get familiar with the ADDE way
of using McIDAS:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/2003/mclearn/index.html

As to building the old commands, you can build commands individually.
Here is what I would do to build the LA executable and help file:

<logon as 'mcidas'>
cd mcidas2003/src
make la.k
make la.hlp
ln la.k ~/bin
ln la.hlp ~/help

This assumes that you are using vendor supplied compilers.  If you
used gcc/g77 to build McIDAS, the make lines would change to:

make la.k VENDOR=-g77
make la.hlp VENDOR=-g77

You can look through the McIDAS makefile (~mcidas/mcidas2003/src/makefile)
and find la.pgm.  It will be in a section identified as RemovePgm_Srcs,
and there will be a number of other commands that have been in the
Unidata McIDAS release for some time that you may be able to use.
Remember, I make no warranty about the old commands functionality.

By the way, can I convince you to upgrade the LDM at UC Davis to
the latest Unidata release, LDM-6.0.14 and configure it to report
real time statistics back to us?  We no longer support LDM-5.x,
so upgrading to 6.x would be a good thing.