20040224: recovering from a 'make uninstall.all'

>From: address@hidden (Jennie L. Moody)

Hi Jennie,

>Well, I just made a really stupid move.  I
>decided to finally clear up some space on
>windfall by getting rid of the old installation of
>mcidas(7.6), and instead, I seem to have destroyed
>my working version mcidas03!

Ouch!

>I was in the mcidas7.6 src directory, and did
>a make uninstall.mcxall, but I guess there is some
>path  precedence that I forgot about....anyway,
>I clobbered it!   Any chance you can help me
>dig out of this big hole?

Recovering from this should be easy.  The only concern I have is that
your McIDAS-XCD decoding might be affected.  This should not be the
case, but I have never done exactly what you just did, so I have not
tested the ramifications.

What you did when you ran 'make uninstall.mcxall' was remove
executables from the ~/bin directory; data files from the ~/data
directory; etc.  The set of files that got deleted are the ones that
have the same name in the 7.6 and v2003 distributions.  Since the build
for v2003 should still be available in the ~mcidas/mcidas2003/src
directory, all you should need to do at this point is:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd mcidas2003/src
make install.mcxall

This assumes that the runtime links on windfall have not been deleted.

I would logon to windfall and run the make myself, but I don't have the
logon information for windfall available to me right at the moment.
You see, I am sitting in a met lab at the Universidad de Costa Rica in
San Jose, Costa Rica right at the moment!

If you run into any problems after doing the 'make install.mcxall'
please let me know.  I will logon to windfall to check things out if
you remind me of the 'mcidas' and 'ldm' passwords.  If you decide that
you want me to check things out, please send me the passwords at my
private email address _without_ mentioning the account names or the
machine on which they are valid.

>damn!

Cheers ;-),