20040208: McIDAS - Linux Redhat 8.0 - installation problems

>From: "Justin Balbierer" <address@hidden>

Hi Justin,

Sorry I didn't get back to your first email before this.

>From address@hidden Fri Feb  6 12:18:39 2004

>I was considering loading the Mcidas-x sources code onto my linux
>machine. My questions is, can anyone access the data needed for this
>software, or do I have to specifically connected to a server like FSU's
>dataport with Unidata?

Right now, the set of cooperating community server sites are open
to all.  This policy may change in the future if the load on any
machine gets too high.

>I am kinda under the impression that anyone can
>use the data via the adde.ucar.edu server... is this true?

At the moment, yes.  This is the most heavily used of the cooperating
community servers, so it may be the first to fall to access restrictuiosn.
The other machines to take a look at are:

cacimbo.ggy.uga.edu
papagayo.unl.edu
atm.geo.nsf.gov
weather3.admin.niu.edu
pscwx.plymouth.edu

Each machine has all or part of the data holdings that can be found
on adde.ucar.edu.

>If so, I have
>linux 8.0 and would like to try and install the software and connect to
>the remote adde server.

I say give it a try, and given your next note, you already have :-)

>Institution: Florida State University / Meteorology Department
>Package Version: 2003
>Operating System: Linux Redhat 8.0
>Hardware Information: 500MHz/128mb RAM/10Gb HD
>Inquiry: Unidata:
>I seem to be having some problems with the McIdas installation (building
>the executible). I am running into an error when running the
><make all Vendor=-g77 > command.

Just to make sure we are on the same page her, the command would be

make all VENDOR=-g77

Also, if you are not going to ingest data and run XCD -- and your
original message indicated that you are not -- then the more
appropriate build invocation would be:

make mcx VENDOR=-g77

>This is the type of error that starts coming up after awhile: <gcc
>  -c -0 -I.  -DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran putget.c
>gcc: unrecognized option `-0\'>

It appears that you have defined CFLAGS to be '-0' (dash zero)
instead of '-O' (dash oh).  The solution is to redefine CFLAGS
in your Unix environment and then retry the build:

export CFLAGS=-O

cd ~/mcidas2003/src
make clobber
make mcx VENCOR=-g77

>This kind of error where there is an unrecognized option continues to
>keep coming up and stops the installation eventually. Can anyone tell me
>how to setup the .bash_profile to the right environment to allow this
>to work.

See above.

>I have used the \"make clobber\" utility and run the compile
>command numerous times. Attached is my \".bash_profile\" script.

We didn't get your .bash_profile file as an attachment, but I am
reasonably confident that your problem is a typo in the deinition
of CFLAGS.

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas