20040204: MCIDAS UACROSS Help

>From: address@hidden (Jennie L. Moody)

Hi Jennie,

>Long time....Happy New Year and all that.

Same back atcha!

>Hey, there used to be a program called XSECTG that allowed
>for cross sectioning grids, but it required the old method
>of specifying grid numbers within a grid file.

Right.  XSECTG was sunset from the Unidata McIDAS distribution
in favor of UACROSS.  XSECTG source is still included in the
distribution, however, and can be built if a user still wants
to use it.  I believe that all you have to do to get XSECTG
back is to:

login as 'mcidas'
cd mcidas2003/src
make xsectg.k xsectg.hlp
ln xsectg.k ~mcidas/bin
ln xsectg.hlp ~/mcidas/help

>I cannot find
>any new cross sectioning programs except for UACROSS (based on
>MD files).  Am I missing anything?

UACROSS should work for both MD and GRID data.  Here is a snippit
from the online help for UACROSS:

   DATaset= | point or grid dataset(s) to use in the cross section; use
              the 'mand sig' format for point datasets and 'grid_dataset'
              format for grid datasets; the default is for point datasets
              as described below so you *must* specify this keyword to
              use a grid dataset; see Remarks for information about the
              differences in datapoint selection with point & grid data
          =mand sig | point dataset(s) containing the mandatory- and
                      significant-level data to use in the cross section;
                      must also specify SIG=YES if you want significant
                      levels included with the mandatory levels; currently
                      only IRAB/IRSG and RAOB/RSIG schema point datasets
                      can be used (mand def=RTPTSRC/UPPERMAND;
                      sig def=RTPTSRC/UPPERSIG if mand=RTPTSRC/UPPERMAND
                      and SIG=YES, otherwise sig def=NONE)
          =grid_dataset | grid dataset containing the grids to use in
                          the cross section

>Is this something that is being upgraded?

UACROSS is a beast, but it should work for your plotting of GRID
cross sections.

>If not, I wonder why, it was a HUGELY valuable utility.

If you prefer to keep using XSECTG, you can build and "install" it
as per my  outline above.  If this doesn't work for some reason,
I will investigate further (it should work, but I havn't tested
the individual build of xsectg.k lately).

>Hope all goes well.

Same for you!