20031207: McIDAS-XCD installation at Western Michigan Univesity. (cont.)

>From: Karthik Samudram Jayaraman <address@hidden>

Karthik,

>When you mentioned about the type of data that needs to be decoded,
>you meant the different ones from (
>http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/data/index.html ) -  link right?

Given sufficient disk space, we could turn on all McIDAS-XCD decoders
and setup ADDE service to the datasets that could be populated.
A number of sites, however, decide to not decode model output
data into McIDAS GRID format since it takes a huge amount of disk
space (on the order of 6.5 GB per day of GRID data saved).

The other reason for the question was to determine which NEXRAD Level
III stations you want saved on disk and to see if you wanted all of the
NEXRAD composite imagery in the FNEXRAD stream decoded and saved.

The next item after determining what is to be decoded is a decision of
how much to keep online.  Many sites choose to keep 3 days of surface,
upper air, profiler, lightning, etc. data online, but that is an
individual choice.  Also, if you choose to decode the NEXRAD
composites, you have to specify how many you want to keep around.  This
is critical for the 1 km National Composite base reflectivities since
they are each 14 MB in size after uncompression.

>If not please correct me so that i can find out what data I need, to
>be decoded ingested?

I would ask Elen which data she wants decoded by McIDAS-XCD and served
by McIDAS ADDE.  I would then ask her how much she wants to keep
online.

The last item is where the decoded data should be filed.  If all
data is ingested and decoded, you should have at least 10 GB of disk,
and that only accounts for 1 day of GRID data.

Tom

>From address@hidden Sun Dec  7 17:15:02 2003

Thanks Tom. I will ask Dr Cutrim too.

karthik