20031111: ADDE on new server (cont.)

>From: Thomas Mote <address@hidden>

Tom,

>-I checked the isakmp entry in
>/etc/services, it was commented.

OK, this is good.  Now, I have no theory as to why access through
port 500 is not allowed:

% telnet cacimbo.ggy.uga.edu 500
Trying...
telnet: connect: Connection refused

Access to port 503 is, as you pointed out in yesterday's email, available:

% telnet cacimbo.ggy.uga.edu 503
Trying...
Connected to cacimbo.ggy.uga.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.

>-The compress/uncompress utilities were NOT
>on cacimbo. I added them this morning.

OK, but something is still wrong.  When I try to point at cacimbo
using 'compress' compressed data transfers (MCCOMPRESS=TRUE), I
get a message that the output is not in compressed format:

DATALOC ADD RTPTSRC CACIMBO.GGY.UGA.EDU

Group Name                    Server IP Address
--------------------         ----------------------------------------
RTPTSRC                      CACIMBO.GGY.UGA.EDU

<LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data directory.
DATALOC -- done

DSINFO I RTPTSRC
stdin: not in compressed format
    No Datasets found of Type: IMAGE in Group: RTPTSRC
DSINFO -- done

This tells me that the 'compress' executable is still not being found,
or, at least, the McIDAS initial server, ~mcidas/bin/mcserv, is not
looking for them where you installed them.

>-The mcadde home directory looks correct.
>
>address@hidden ~]$ grep mc /etc/passwd
>mcidas:x:500:500:UNIDATA McIDAS:/home/mcidas:/bin/csh
>mcadde:x:502:500:UNIDATA McADDE:/home/mcidas:/sbin/nologin

You are right, this is correct.

>-I did have to make a change to the
>.mcenv. I have included the new version below.

OK.

>- I went ahead and tried to run the UGAGINI.BAT
>file you created for me. I can send you the
>UGAGINI.BAT and UGAGINI.CFG files if
>it will help. Here's the error I got...
>
>address@hidden ~/workdata]$ batch.k UGAGINI.BAT
>DSSERVE ADD GINIEAST/GE1KVIS    GINI  TYPE=IMAGE
>INFO=UGAGINI.CFG "GINI 1 km VIS East CONUS
>DSSERVE: You must enter a min and max file  pair with this
>dataset.
>DSSERVE: done
>DSSERVE failed, RC=2
>batch.k: BATCH job abandon /home/mcidas/workdata/UGAGINI.BAT
>batch.k: BATCH done /home/mcidas/workdata/UGAGINI.BAT
>address@hidden ~/workdata]$

This is easy to understand and fix.  The newer version of DSSERVE
is picky about one specifying the number of possible elements in a
dataset when the DIRFILE= keyword is not used.  You will need to edit
UGAGINI.BAT and change each line to add the potential beginning and
ending dataset element numbers.  For instance:

change:

DSSERVE ADD GINIEAST/GE1KVIS GINI TYPE=IMAGE INFO=UGAGINI.CFG "GINI 1 km VIS
East CONUS

to:

DSSERVE ADD GINIEAST/GE1KVIS GINI 1 9999 TYPE=IMAGE INFO=UGAGINI.CFG "GINI 1 km
VIS East CONUS

This is easy to do in one step in vi or emacs (I can tell you how to do
this in vi, but not in emacs).

>However, even after adding the compress utility and
>fixing the .mcenv, I'm still not able to get any
>data from cacimbo. Below please find the output
>from dsserve.k and my .mcenv, as you requested.

Typically, one can figure out what is going on by droping back to
uncompress data transfers.  Since I can't get to the McIDAS server
using port 500, however, I am unable to find out what the server
is trying to tell me.

>address@hidden ~]$ cat .mcenv
># C-shell environment variable definitions for the user 'mcidas'
>
># umask
>umask 002
>
># MCHOME and McINST_ROOT
>setenv MCHOME /home/mcidas
>setenv McINST_ROOT $MCHOME
>
>setenv XCDDATA /data/mcidasd
>if ( ! ${?MCPATH} ) then
>  setenv MCDATA /home/mcidas/workdata
>  setenv MCPATH ${MCDATA}:/home/mcidas/data:/home/mcidas/help
>  setenv MCGUI /home/mcidas/bin
>  setenv MCTABLE_READ
>"${MCDATA}/MCTABLE.TXT;/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT"
>  setenv MCTABLE_WRITE "/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT"
>  setenv XCD_disp_file $MCDATA/DECOSTAT.DAT
>endif
>
># Limit ADDE transfers to compressed ones
>setenv MCCOMPRESS TRUE

Here is one problem.  .mcenv must be in conforming shell (e.g., Bourne,
Korn, bash, etc.) syntax.  The entries, therefore, should read:

# umask
umask 002

# MCHOME
MCHOME=/home/mcidas

# McIDAS environment variables
MCDATA=$MCHOME/workdata
MCPATH=${MCDATA}:$MCHOME/data:$MCHOME/help
MCGUI=$MCHOME/bin
MCTABLE_READ="$MCHOME/mcidas/data/MCTABLE.TXT"
MCTABLE_WRITE="$MCHOME/mcidas/data/MCTABLE.TXT"

# Turn on ADDE logging
ADDE_LOGGING=YES

# Define the PATH
PATH=${MCGUI}:$PATH

# Export the environment variables above
export MCPATH MCTABLE_READ MCTABLE_WRITE ADDE_LOGGING PATH

# CD to the MCDATA directory
cd $MCDATA

Once you change the .mcenv contents to this syntax, we should be able
to get information using 'compress' compressed transfers.