20031111: McIDAS 2003 installation (cont.)

>From: "Kwan-yin Kong" <address@hidden>

Kwan,

>I am building McIDAS on an x86 machine running
>Solaris 8.

OK.  I am not sure why the build did not go smoothly given that this is
an operating system that SSEC builds on routinely.  Given that the
problem comes in when building the zlib portion of the distribution,
and given that for some unknown reason 'cc' is trying to be used in
that portion of the build, I would suggest that you work around the
problem by creating a link called 'cc' to 'gcc' in a directory that is
before /usr/ucb in the PATH of your 'mcidas' user.  I would then
clobber the previous build attempt and start from scratch:

<as 'mcidas'>
mkdir ~mcidas/tmp
cd ~mcidas/tmp
ln -s /usr/local/bin/gcc cc
setenv PATH ~mcidas/tmp:$PATH
cd ~mcidas/mcidas2003/src
make clobber
make all VENDOR=-g77

Please let me know if this works for you.

Tom