20031110: McIDAS 2003 installation (cont.)

>From: "Kwan-yin Kong" <address@hidden>

Hi Kwan,

>     After setting the env. variables as you indicated, it
>completed a set of .for okay.  But then when it got to the
>g77 compilations, it reports the following warnings,
>followed by a fatal error.
>
>g77 -O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic -c tsdmmsf.f
>tsdmmsf.f: In subroutine `tsdmmsf':
>tsdmmsf.f:161: warning:
>          err1 = dssdisc(1, 10, f64scale)
>                 1

These are warnings and can safely be ignored.

>A fatal error occurred later with these messages.
>
>ar rc libjpeg.a  jcapimin.o jcapistd.o jctrans.o jcparam.o
>jdatadst.o jcinit.o jcmaster.o jcmarker.o jcmainct.o
>jcprepct.o jccoefct.o jccolor.o jcsample.o jchuff.o
>jcphuff.o jcdctmgr.o jfdctfst.o jfdctflt.o  jfdctint.o
>jdapimin.o jdapistd.o jdtrans.o jdatasrc.o  jdmaster.o
>jdinput.o jdmarker.o jdhuff.o jdphuff.o  jdmainct.o
>jdcoefct.o jdpostct.o jddctmgr.o  jidctfst.o jidctflt.o
>jidctint.o jidctred.o  jdsample.o jdcolor.o jquant1.o
>jquant2.o jdmerge.o jcomapi.o jutils.o jerror.o jmemmgr.o
>jmemnobs.o
>ranlib libjpeg.a

No problem here.

>gcc -O -DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran -I. -DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran -c
> cjpeg.c
>gcc -O -DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran -I. -DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran -c
> rdppm.c
>gcc  -o wrjpgcom wrjpgcom.o

OK, this worked with no errors.

>cd ../zlib && make
>cc -O -DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran -c  example.c
>/usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not
>installed
>*** Error code 1
>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `example.o'
>Current working directory
>/usr/local/mcidas/mcidas2003/zlib
>*** Error code 1
>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
>`../zlib/libz.a'

OK, the build bombed when trying to build the zlib section.  It bombed
when it tried to use 'cc' instead of 'gcc' as the C compiler.  The
question now is why it was trying to use 'cc' instead of 'gcc'.

I had thought that you were doing a build on a Linux system.  Is
this true?  If not, exactly what system are you trying to build on?