20031106: McIDAS 2003 installation

>From: "Kwan-yin Kong" <address@hidden>

Hi Kwan,

>     Hi.  This is Kwan at CCNY.  Today I attempted to
>install McIDAS-X 2003 by following the "ABCs of upgrading
>from a previous version".  All went well until in the
>middle of 'make mcx VENDOR=-g77', it reported the
>following failure saying that cc compiler doesn't work (or
>doesn't exist).  What do I need to do now?

The failure you report shows that you have not defined the full set
of needed environment variables:

>checking for gcc... cc
>checking whether the C compiler (cc  ) works... no

What you need to do is:

- define CC, CPPFLAGS, CFLAGS, FC, and FFLAGS as per the Notes and Warnings
  document in the McIDAS web pages.  Here are the settings for a Linux
  gcc/g77 build:

# Defines needed for netCDF build using gcc/g77
setenv CC gcc
setenv CPPFLAGS "-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran"
setenv CFLAGS -O
setenv FC g77
setenv FFLAGS "-O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic"

- you then need to start your build from scratch:

cd ~mcidas/mcidas2003/src
make clobber
make mcx VENDOR=-g77
make install.mcx VENDOR=-g77

>Thanks again for your help.

No worries.

>Created "mfhdf/ncgen/Makefile" in
>/usr/local/mcidas/mcidas2003/hdf using
>"config/mh-solarisx86"
>Created "mfhdf/ncdump/Makefile" in
>/usr/local/mcidas/mcidas2003/hdf using
>"config/mh-solarisx86"
>Created "mfhdf/fortran/Makefile" in
>/usr/local/mcidas/mcidas2003/hdf using
>"config/mh-solarisx86"
>Created "mfhdf/doc/Makefile" in
>/usr/local/mcidas/mcidas2003/hdf using
>"config/mh-solarisx86"
>Created "mfhdf/pablo/Makefile" in
>/usr/local/mcidas/mcidas2003/hdf using
>"config/mh-solarisx86"
>cd ../jpeg && \
>                  sh configure --prefix=/usr/local/mcidas
>checking for gcc... cc
>checking whether the C compiler (cc  ) works... no
>configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C
>compiler cannot create executables.
>*** Error code 1
>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
>`../jpeg/config.status'

Tom