20031103: LDM - solaris 8 - iam getting started on this (cont.)

>From: Karthik Samudram Jayaraman <address@hidden>

Hi Karthik,

>I have installed ldm on the correct user's login. ( I had mentioned
>in my last mail that i have got the proper users from my admin).

I was very happy to see that you could get separate accounts for
the users 'ldm', 'mcidas', and 'mcadde'.  This will make your and
my job easier in the long run.

>When Iam installing the mcidas I face the following problem.
>
>Iam Building the Unidata Mc-IDAS X
>
>The command i issued and the error i had got are as below:

>s400.wood.wmich.edu:/cutrim1/mcidas/mcidas2003/src> make mcx
>rm -f tclcomp
>sh tclcomp.sh /cutrim1/mcidas/tcl ../tcl ../tk tclcomp
>uname: invalid option -- i
>Try `uname --help' for more information.
>tclcomp.sh: Error building Tcl configuration file
>tclcomp.sh: Possible compiler error
>make: *** [tclcomp] Error 1

>Can you help me in resolving this error?

The error you are seeing is coming at the beginning of the Tcl/Tk
configure step.  The code in tclcomp.sh has a case construct that
branches based on the results of a 'uname -s' and for SunOS then does a
'uname -i'.  The error you give above says that the '-i' option is not
valid for 'uname' on your system.  I just looked at the man page for
'uname' on three different SunOS SPARC systems (5.6, 5.8, and 5.9) and
see that the '-i' option should be valid on each.  Here is an example:

  User Commands                                            uname(1)

  NAME
       uname - print name of current system

  SYNOPSIS
       uname [-aimnprsvX]

       uname [-S system_name]

  DESCRIPTION
       The uname utility prints information about the current  sys-
       tem on the standard output. When options are specified, sym-
       bols representing one or more system characteristics will be
       written to the standard output. If no options are specified,
       uname  prints  the  current  operating  system's  name.  The
       options  print  selected  information  returned by uname(2),
       sysinfo(2), or both.

  OPTIONS
       The following options are supported:

       -a    Prints basic information currently available from  the
             system.

       -i    Prints the name of the hardware implementation  (plat-
             form).

The questions for you now are:

- what version of SunOS are you using (output from 'uname -a')
- what 'uname' are you using (output from 'which uname')

The copy of 'uname' that gets used on our builds is the one found
in /usr/bin.

Tom