20031008: McIDAS Image Remapping bug in v2002

>From: address@hidden (Jennie L. Moody)

Hi Jennie,

I have finally gotten time to respond to your three emails!

>Well, my screen flashing isn't an issue.  I made the following
>changes, first I erased the .mcidasrc, and let it get remade.

OK.

>I ran with the mcidasx initiation of the program.  I still had
>problems, so I uncommented the displayVisualMode, reduced the
>number of image colors requested (to 70 I think?), and things
>work okay.

I am glad that you are running, but there is still something wrong.
McIDAS should not need more colors than are provided by a CDE session
that has the colors set to maximize for applications AND you have no
applications running before launching McIDAS.  Did you ever run
'xdpyinfo' on your system to see what the default visual is?  This
would explain things _if_ it showed that your video card does not
support anything by an 8-bit visual.  But, on to other things...

>Now, on to the real problems.  I have been trying to fix the
>real-time water vapor scripts.  This involved just getting
>everything to run as me (without conflicting with McIDAS),
>so once I got all the right copies of code, made new scratch
>directories, created the correct alias names under my account,
>etc.  I was finally able to run the scripts by hand as me
>and get altered wv pieces made (GOES-E and GOES-W parts).

OK.

>Now, I am trying to run the little script we use to combine
>these images, and I have hit a roadblock.
>
>REM 1 - GOES-W, 2 - GOES-E, 3&4 - Scratch, 5-Destination
>IMGREMAP %1 %3 PRO=PS LATLON=40 105 RES=9 SMOOTH=YES SSIZE=ALL SIZE=700 1200
>IMGREMAP %2 %5 PRO=PS LATLON=40 105 RES=9 SMOOTH=YES SSIZE=ALL SIZE=700 1200
>
>IMGCOPY  %3 %4 LINELE=0 0 SIZE=700 600
>IMGREMAP %4 %5 MERGE=YES PRO=DEST SMOOTH=YES
>
>I have no trouble with the first three lines, I remap the
>atered-GOES-Wwater vapor image, changing the projection
>to polar stereographic, and making a large image (700 1200)
>Then the altered-GOES-Ewater vapor image gets re-projected.
>
>Then, the left side (first 600 elements, all 700 lines) of
>the altered-remapped GOES-Wwater vapr image gets copied to
>a new area file.

OK, got it.

>Finally, I try to paste that 700x600 area over the
>eastern altered GOES water vapor image (700x1200), using the
>MERGE=YES keyword (and taking the navigation from the
>Destination area file, PRO=DEST).
>
>THIS USED TO WORK.  Once we switched to the new version
>of McIDAS, this failed to work.

This is probably the v2002 bug that was corrected in v2003.

>I tried to take a quick look at the imageremap.pgm,
>but nothing jumped out at me.
>
>Did this option go away (undocumented?).

No.

>Is there another way to paste these images together?

Yes, but let's go to your other emails.

>From address@hidden Wed Oct  8 12:51:04 2003

>Okay. I was just digging in the support archives
>(I should always do this first), and I found some
>notes that are relevant to the imgremapping problem
>I am having.  Looks like Owen reported that a script
>of his to do some composite images didn't work
>and this was noted to be a bug fixed in 2003.  It sounds
>like this was a change from release 2002 to 2003.

Yes, the bug that was introduced in v2002 was fixed in v2003.

>I thought we had V2003, but I see that its called
>2002 (though we didn't install it until this
>May?,2003).

I just logged onto windfall; you have v2002.  I can upgrade you to
v2003 simply now that things are less brittle on windfall.

>So, maybe I can just grab and updated
>remap.pgm or something from you for a quick solution.

You could grab the v2003 imgremap.pgm or the routine it was calling
that was broken and rebuild imgremap.k.  I would recommend, however,
upgrading to v2003.

>Then, it raises the issue, is there another whole
>version that I am behind on?

As of August 6, yes.

>What changes are
>significant between 2002 and 2003.  I was just
>catching up the the present ones! (sigh)

v2003 fixes bugs found in v2002 and adds new capabilities.  I think you
would benefit from an upgrade.

>I did see in some of the email exchanges that
>one problem was that you cannot use imgremap
>to composite images from different sensors,
>so I tried just using an image change to make
>the sensors compatible, but this doesn't
>do the trick.  So, I'm stuck, but sounds like I
>have a buggy of this code??

The v2002 copy of imgremap did have the bug that Owen (and Tony?) ran
into.  The bug is gone in v2003.

>Hey, sorry to hear about the oral surgery, bummer.
>Maybe I can keep you distracted with questions :-)

Well, my mouth doesn't hurt very much, but my cheek is swollen
a bit.  This should go away by sometime tomorrow, so I am not
much concerned.

>From address@hidden Wed Oct  8 13:25:56 2003

>Okay, so reading more mail, maybe all I need to do
>is get in an user mcidas, copy the imgremap.k
>binary to imgremap.k.2002bak, and then copy
>from the /home/mcidas/mcidas7.6/src/imgremap.k
>to the local imgremap.k to get a working copy of
>an older version.  Right?

This will probably work for what you are doing right now, but it could
introduce some problems interacting with upgraded servers.

>I hesitate to do this
>until you say so, since it might be a step backwards.
>You recommended this to another use in email
>archives, however, you suggested using the
>imgremap.k binary from Version 7.8, I don't
>this this should make a difference, however,
>I know that when you start mixing up routines
>problems may arise.

I recommended to Owen to use the 7.8 version of imgremap.k, and he had
no problems.  I am hesitant about using a version of a program that is
3 revisions behind (7.6 -> 2002).  I would much rather build v2003 on
windfall.  This would bring you up to a current release and allow you
to get around the v2002 imgremap problem.  So, as soon as you give me
the go ahead, I will download, build, install, and configure
McIDAS-X/-XCD v2003.

>Thanks for your help.

No worries.  I am glad to see that you are "in the saddle again" :-)