20030910: McIDAS-X installation at COMET

>From:  Patrick Dills <address@hidden>

Hi Patrick,

>Guys, I wanted to extend a very hearty thanks for all your efforts (and
>some of those after hours from what I understand Tom) in bringing the
>latest MCIDAS-X build to life here!

No worries.  Glad to help.

>I'm doing a little configuring and
>tweaking in my own user account, and so far so good.

I made a comment to Tim that we may want to make the McIDAS installation
look more standard that it is currently.  What I mean by this is that
the "standard" (recommended) installation is for the user 'mcidas'
in the directory /home/mcidas that results in directories like:

/home/mcidas/admin
/home/mcidas/bin
/home/mcidas/data
/home/mcidas/lib
/home/mcidas/savedata
/home/mcidas/workdata
  etc.

The setup on gizmo currently is McIDAS-X v2003 was installed in
/home/mcidas/mcidas03 resulting in directory structures:

/home/mcidas/mcidas03/admin
  etc.

There is no big problem in this setup unless one wants to setup the
McIDAS remote ADDE server on this machine.  The remote server stuff
will expect to find a /home/mcidas/bin directory, etc., so things
won't work as desired.

What I do for my setup is have a runtime link that is exactly parallel
to concepts used in the LDM:

- install in /home/mcidas/mcidas03
- create runtime links to the installation point:

ln -s mcidas03 runtime
ln -s runtime/admin admin
ln -s runtime/bin bin
ln -s runtime/data data
ln -s runtime/doc doc
ln -s runtime/help help
ln -s runtime/inc inc
ln -s runtime/lib lib
ln -s runtime/man man
ln -s runtime/savedata savedata
ln -s runtime/tcl tcl
ln -s runtime/workdata workdata

Please let me know if you would like me to help "standardize" your
installation.

>Having v2003 up and
>running is really going to help open up the floodgates on some new case
>study and module work where I plan to rely heavily on MCIDAS-x to massage
>a variety of NOAAport, EOS (Terra and Aqua MODIS) and other POES hdf and
>netcdf datasets.  So goes the hope at least.

Excellent!

>And BTW Tom, this is just a heads up and to make sure you don't tear it
>up right away.  You should be seeing manilla envelope appear in your
>mailbox the next day or so with what we at COMET lovingly refer to as a
>"COMET Kudo".  These little certificates are part of our employee
>recognition program, and occasionally we'll like to extend a
>"Kudo" to a fellow UCAR colleague in special recognition of a
>contribution or help (i.e. helping us climb out of a hole) that goes
>"above and beyond the call of duty".  And besides, it's worth two bucks at
>a UCAR/NCAR cafeteria (that blue copy) when you really get hungry.  Well
>at least before you look at the menu.

Thanks!