20030822: mcidas 2003 build error under Slackware 9.0 Linux (cont.)

>From: Mark Tucker <address@hidden>

Mark,

>> Can you give me specifics on the OS you are using.  The best thing would
>> probably be the output of:
>>
>> uname -a
>Linux platypus 2.4.21 #6 Mon Jun 16 17:12:59 PDT 2003 i686 unknown

What was missing from this was the fact that you are using the Slackware
not RedHat.  This turns out to be the problem.

>> gcc --version
>gcc (GCC) 3.2.2

This is the same as our RedHat 9.0 version.

>> g77 --version

Ditto on g77.

>I built mcidas 2002 on this same host without any problems.  There haven't
>been any library version upgrades or anything of that sort since that time
>other than going from kernel 2.4.20 to 2.4.21.

The problem was that not all modules that are supposed to be added to
libsdi.a were actually getting added.  The one that tripped you up was
servutil.o.  I see no reason in the McIDAS makefile for this to happen,
so I am stumped.

In order to get things working after logging on, I did the following:

cd mcidas2003/src
touch BitUtil.o Bk11Data.o crc16.o GVAR.o m0tenoff.o MSAT.o NCDF.o nexrutil.o
POES.o SDIConv.o SDIUtil.o TIP.o servutil.o
make libsdi.a

After remaking libsdi.a, the build proceeded normally:

make mcx

If you check the makelog file you will see that I first ran 'make
all'.  I killed that after remember ing that you were only trying to
build McIDAS-X and not both McIDAS-X and -XCD.

I did not do a 'make install' since I thought you might like to poke
around for a bit before proceeding.

>The build ran and did not report any errors.  I've placed the makelog file at
>the following url:
>http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/~tuckerm/scratch/makelog_libmcidas.a

This is the mystery.  For some unknown reason, libsdi.a was not getting
fully populated by modules that are sepecifically set to be included in
it by the makefile.  I will have to chalk this one up to something
strange with Slackware since I have built on RedHat 7.3, 8.0, and 9.0
with absolutely no problems.

>From here, I tried running make mcx again since the libmcidas.a build seemed
>to be successful but ran into an error linking lv1badir.  This makelog is at:
>http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/~tuckerm/scratch/makelog_mcx_again

I was incorrect in my original thoughts.  The library that was not
getting fully updated was libsdi.a.

>I'll be attempting to build on our server (FreeBSD) later today.

That should go smoothly.  I just built on a brand new FreeBSD 4.8
machine an the Universidad Federal do Rio de Janeiro last night.  That
machine set a new speed record for a full McIDAS build: 5 minutes and
34 seconds.

>From address@hidden Fri Aug 22 10:40:23 2003

> >> Can you give me specifics on the OS you are using.  The best thing would
> >> probably be the output of:
> >>
> >> uname -a
> >Linux platypus 2.4.21 #6 Mon Jun 16 17:12:59 PDT 2003 i686 unknown
>
> What was missing from this was the fact that you are using the Slackware
> not RedHat.  This turns out to be the problem.

I jumped to the details without stating the obvious (from this end).  Sorry
about that.

> >> gcc --version
> >gcc (GCC) 3.2.2
>
> This is the same as our RedHat 9.0 version.
>
> >> g77 --version
>
> Ditto on g77.
>
> >I built mcidas 2002 on this same host without any problems.  There haven't
> >been any library version upgrades or anything of that sort since that time
> >other than going from kernel 2.4.20 to 2.4.21.
>
> The problem was that not all modules that are supposed to be added to
> libsdi.a were actually getting added.  The one that tripped you up was
> servutil.o.  I see no reason in the McIDAS makefile for this to happen,
> so I am stumped.

I could not see any reason for it as well.

> In order to get things working after logging on, I did the following:
>
> cd mcidas2003/src
> touch BitUtil.o Bk11Data.o crc16.o GVAR.o m0tenoff.o MSAT.o NCDF.o
> nexrutil.o POES.o SDIConv.o SDIUtil.o TIP.o servutil.o make libsdi.a
>
> After remaking libsdi.a, the build proceeded normally:
>
> make mcx
>
> If you check the makelog file you will see that I first ran 'make
> all'.  I killed that after remember ing that you were only trying to
> build McIDAS-X and not both McIDAS-X and -XCD.
>
> I did not do a 'make install' since I thought you might like to poke
> around for a bit before proceeding.

I appreciate that.

> >The build ran and did not report any errors.  I've placed the makelog file
> >at the following url:
> >http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/~tuckerm/scratch/makelog_libmcidas.a
>
> This is the mystery.  For some unknown reason, libsdi.a was not getting
> fully populated by modules that are sepecifically set to be included in
> it by the makefile.  I will have to chalk this one up to something
> strange with Slackware since I have built on RedHat 7.3, 8.0, and 9.0
> with absolutely no problems.

Very strange.  I've always had better success building software from source on
Slackware than any version of RedHat.  It looks like RedHat uses make version
3.79 where Slackware is using 3.80.  I'm not sure if that is actually the
problem but it seems to be a likely source.

> >From here, I tried running make mcx again since the libmcidas.a build
> >seemed to be successful but ran into an error linking lv1badir.  This
> >makelog is at: http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/~tuckerm/scratch/makelog_mcx_again
>
> I was incorrect in my original thoughts.  The library that was not
> getting fully updated was libsdi.a.

okay.

> >I'll be attempting to build on our server (FreeBSD) later today.
>
> That should go smoothly.  I just built on a brand new FreeBSD 4.8
> machine an the Universidad Federal do Rio de Janeiro last night.  That
> machine set a new speed record for a full McIDAS build: 5 minutes and
> 34 seconds.

I'll see what our dual 1.4ghz PIII can do.

Thanks for your help with this.

--
Mark Tucker
Meteorology Dept. Systems Administrator