20030821: mcidas 2003 build error

>From: Mark Tucker <address@hidden>

Hi Mark,

I just wanted to get a reply back to you soon so you know that I am
looking into the problem you are seeing.

>I am attempting to build mcidas2003 to upgrade my install of mcidas2002 on a
>Linux workstation and have gotten an erorr in the build process.

For reference, I have successfully built v2003 on RedHat 7.3, 8.0, and 9.0
Linux.

>I have performed the following steps so far:
>
>1. The workstation configuration was already setup for the existing mcidas
>   install (2002).  Verified that there weren't any changes with the current
>   release.

OK, good.

>2. mcidas account was already setup and confgured on the system.
>   Verified that the existing environment variables are the same as in the
>   installation instructions.

Good.

>3. Setup the recommended variables for building
>   netcdf as listed in the "notes and warnings" section:
>
>mcidas@platypus:~> setenv CC gcc
>mcidas@platypus:~> setenv CPPFLAGS "-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran"
>mcidas@platypus:~> setenv CFLAGS -O
>mcidas@platypus:~> setenv FC g77
>mcidas@platypus:~> setenv FFLAGS "-O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic"
>mcidas@platypus:~> setenv CXX

These look correct.

>4. modified ~mcidas/mcidas2003/src/makefile changing the vendor line to
>"VENDOR = -g77"

OK.  The other way to do the build is specify VENDOR=-g77 on the command
line.  Both ways are equivalent.

>5. cd ~mcidas/mcidas2003/src ; make mcx

Can you give me specifics on the OS you are using.  The best thing would
probably be the output of:

uname -a
gcc --version
g77 --version

>The build terminates with an error linking lv1badir.  I've placed the makelog
>at the following URL. http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/~tuckerm/scratch/makelog

OK, thanks.  The failure is during link, and is for entry points that
should be in libmcidas.a at this point.  I am trying to recreate your
problem on a RedHat 9.0 system here at the UPC.

>I've reviewed the makelog but wasn't able to identify exactly where the
>problem lies. I'm not sure where to proceed from here.

My first guess would be that all modules that are supposed to have been
put into libmcidas.a (by 'ar') have not been.  I see that very few
of the modules compiled were added to libmcidas.a (look for mcar libmcidas.a
entries in the makelog). In particular, the module that contains entry
points that are lacking to link lv1badir are contained in servutil.o
and that is not being added to libmcidas.a.  The question now is why?

What happens if you try:

cd ~mcidas/mcidas2003
make libmcidas.a

Tom