20030820: ualist (cont.) and DSSERVE DIRFILE=

>From: "Alliss, Randall J." <address@hidden>

Hi Randy,

>i am at a loss...I have edited LWPATH.NAM and put in
>*.ISFC   path
>*.IRAB   path
>*.IRSG   path
>
>but when i perform a redirect.k LIST it returns
>*.ISF
>etc...

First, hopefully you edited LWPATH.NAM when no McIDAS session was
running and then started the session, true?

Next, the McIDAS REDIRECT stuff understands the old 8.3 file naming
convention.  Trying to put in a suffix with more than 3 characters will
not work.  The following should work, however (it works on my system):

REDIRECT ADD *.IS* "path
REDIRECT ADD *.IR* "path

>However, when i remove the .
>ie., *ISFC  path
>
>then i get the proper listing with redirect.k LIST

In this case, you are not trying to force REDIRECT to understand that
the ISFC is a suffix, so it works (I know that this is nonesense,
but there it is).

>however, i still can not see the files in the /scratch/tmp directory.

I am not quite sure I understand this.  If you do an:

ls /scratch/tmp/*ISFC

you get the expected listing, but if you do a:

REDIRECT ADD *ISFC "/scratch/tmp

you don't get the expected listing?  Hmm... this apparently worked for me
on my Solaris 5.9 SPARC and RedHat 7.3 Linux systems, but when I looked
the REDIRECTion that was stored in LWPATH.NAM, I got a suprise:

REDIRECT ADD *test "/home/mcidas/tmp
cat LWPATH.NAM
* /home/mcidas/tmp

This causes big problems down the road!  I recommend, therefore, that
you use the REDIRECT examples I listed above:

REDIRECT ADD *.IS* "path

>i should not need the redirect anyway. DSSERVE should take care of this for
>me like it does when using SSEC MCIDAS on the IBM.

Exactly correct, REDIRECT should not be needed if you are using the
DIRFILE= keyword for DSSERVE.  Hmm...  I wonder if the DIRFILE= keyword
regular expression suffers from the same shortcoming as REDIRECT.  Nope.
The following test works fine for me:

cd ~mcidas
mkdir tmp
cd tmp
cp ~/workdata/AREA1236 AREA1236.test

<in a McIDAS-X session>
DSSERVE ADD TEST/IMAGE AREA DIRFILE=/home/mcidas/tmp/AREA123*.test "TEST OF 4
CHAR SUFFIX

Group/Descriptor         Type  Format & Range     RT Comment
------------------------ ----- ------------------ -- --------------------
TEST/IMAGE               IMAGE AREA                  TEST OF 4 CHAR SUFFIX
                               DIRFILE=/home/mcidas/tmp/AREA123*.test
DSSERVE: done

IMGLIST TEST/IMAGE
Image file directory listing for:TEST/IMAGE
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
   1  G-8 IMG        7 MAY 02127  12:00:00    36 -158 3
IMGLIST: done

>So it works on the IBM but no MKRAOBID and it does not work on the ALPHA but
>i get MKRAOBID...

I am concerned that something works in one place (IBM) and not the other
(ALPHA).

>the dmap command produces
>0 files 0 bytes.

Tom

From address@hidden Wed Aug 20 13:42:26 2003

Tom,

UPDATE:

apparently this is not unique to the ALPHA..I get the same symptoms on the
linux box running uni-mcidas.

Randy

>From address@hidden Wed Aug 20 14:00:06 2003

As Tom said, you do *not* have to run REDIRECT after creating a dataset
name using DSSERVE with DIRFILE=. Also, the single quotes around the
DIRFILE= entry are optional.

I just tried DSSERVE and PTLIST commands (no REDIRECT) like yours and
they work in my account, and they work as expected. As Tom said, the
first thing to try is an ls of the value you entered in DIRFILE= and
make sure it lists the files you're expecting. You can run the ls
command from McIDAS this way:  !ls /scratch/tmp/200*.ISFC

The REDIRECT LIST output that lists "200*.ISF" instead of "200*.ISFC" is
a known problem that was reported in inquiry 11369. It hasn't been fixed
because, according to the Action section:
  "This change requires an update to the LWPATH.NAM data structure.
   If the change was made, REDIRECT would be required to be backward
   compatible with old redirection files. This would be a good
   enhancement to the system, but no funding exists to complete an
   enhancement of this magnitude.  Inquiry status changing to
   Hold-Funding."

The work-around is to use a wildcard whenever filename extensions are
longer than three characters. For example, change the REDIRECT command from:
  REDIRECT ADD 200*.ISFC "/scratch/tmp/
to something like:
  REDIRECT ADD 200*.IS* "/scratch/tmp/

Barry