20030801: McIDAS XCD config problem

>From: address@hidden

Adam,

>I have reinstalled it twice with the same result each time.

Does this comment refer to the missing file you reported ealier, or
to the problem you are reporting below?

>I get to the the Configuring Files for McIDAS-XCD part
>
>I start mcidas
>
>I type XCDDATA "/data/mcidas
>
>I then type BATCH XCD.BAT
>
>I get this response:
>
>BATCH: Error reading file /home/mcidas/mcidas/data/XCD.BAT
>
>The file is not in that directory but it is in /home/mcidas/mcidas2003/data

This tells me that you most likely did not do a full installation of the
package.  The XCD component of the McIDAS distribution does not get installed
automatically when McIDAS-X gets installed.  This was done so that one
could install the -X portion individually since the -XCD portion is only
needed on the machine that is running the LDM.

I am guessing that you perhaps did:

cd mcidas2003/src
make all VENDOR=-g77
make install VENDOR=-g77

or some variant of this.  The full sequence is:

cd mcidas2003/src
make all VENDOR=-g77
make install.all VENDOR=-g77

>I thought that i had the path wrong or something
>
>I changed MCPATH to /home/mcidas/mcidas2003/data:...etc instead of
>/home/mcidas/mcidas/data:...etc
>
>This run the XCD.BAT file but it cam out with an error:
>
>IDGROUP not found
>BATCH: BATCH job abandon /home/mcidas/mcidas2003/data/XCD.BAT
>BATCH: BATCH done /home/mcidas/mcidas2003/data/XCD.BAT

IDGROUP is a McIDAS-XCD executable.  The fact that it can't be found
furthers my suspicion that the full installation was not done.  To
confirm this, do the following:

% ls -alt ~mcidas/bin/startxcd.k

If this file can not be found, it confirms the non-installation of
the XCD portion of the package.

>I throught well, lets see if the next command will work.
>
>BATCH XCDDEC.BAT
>
>It returns the error:
>
>BILDTEXT not found.
>BATCH: BATCH job abandon /home/mcidas/mcidas2003/data/XCDDEC.BAT
>BATCH: BATCH done /home/mcidas/mcidas2003/data/XCDDEC.BAT

Ditto on the comments above.

>That's where i gave up because i cannot complete the next step after that one
>because of the error.
>
>I was looking online and it says that XCD.BAT is suppose to initialize
>GROUPS.DAT and COUNTRY.DAT.  NOWHERE in the entire mcidas distribution can i
>find those files.

GROUPS.DAT and COUNTRY.DAT are created during the BATCH XCD.BAT step.

>I had just downloaded the distribution today.  Everything has
>gone smooth up until now.  Just wondering what is going on.

If the XCD portion of the distribution was not installed, but it was built,
it can easily be installed at this point:

cd ~mcidas/mcidas2003/src
make install.xcdall VENDOR=-g77

>BTW/ Could you tell me what the MCPATH variable is suppose to be?? Thanks.

MCPATH for the user 'mcidas' should be defined as follows:

MCDATA=/home/mcidas/data
MCPATH=${MCDATA}:/home/mcidas/data:/home/mcidas/help

>Thanks

Please let me know if the installation of XCD was incomplete/not done.
Thanks...

>Adam Taylor
>Computing Center
>University of Louisiana at Monroe