20030726: Lightning Overlayed Over NOAAPort Satellite Question

Bryan,
     First I need to warn you that you are NOT supposed
to redistribute lightning data in any form. Especially not
on a public web site. I assume you are doing this only to
demonstrate the discrepencies in the plots. If so fine. Please do not
routinely make lightning data available on your web server.
The data provider might not let us make the data freely
available to the Unidata community if it is improperly used. I'd love
to be able to make this data freely available to any user, but the contract
that allows us to distribute the data to Universities for research
and educational purposes prohibits this. All it would take
is one recipient of the data to violate this agreement
and we could be forced to turn off this service. If you
have questions on the appropriate use of the NLDN data feel
free to ask me, or Unidata. Sorry, I suspect you are using the
data properly, but, a reminder to all sites is a good
thing since I think it would be a loss to the community
if we could not distribute this data.
     On to the issue at hand. First note that the lightning
does not move, but the clouds appear to. It appears the GOES west
view is more consistant. A couple of possibilities. 1) the clouds
are viewed from way above, their observed position relative
to the ground will depend on the altitude of the cloud and the
angle from which it is being viewed. I haven't worked out the
geometry for your case, but suspect this might explain the apparent
shift of cloud positions in your figures. 2) It is possible
this is due to a projection changing calculation, but, I suspect
this is a smaller effect. Again I haven't done calculations
so could be wrong.

David