20030617: McIDAS for user at USF (cont.)

>From: "Happel, Shelly" <address@hidden>

Shelly,

>Ok - so there aren't any more open edit sessions of that file.

OK, I made a couple of small changes and am out.

>I have *no
>idea* why we would be able to see it and you wouldn't... how weird!!!

That is extremely weird to say the least.  The weird thing is that I am
able to set the background map.   Hmm... this sounds like a timing
issue.  I tested this theory by adding a wait for as long as 5 seconds
after nldndisp.k ran, and it made no difference.  I guess I really
don't care about this since it is a good thing that non-USF users will
get a blank map for the restricted lightning data!

>Any help you can provide about accessing the data in the lab is mucho mucho
>appreciated! Thanks again!

I logged in as Arlene and was able to start a McIDAS session with
display pointed back to my machine here at Unidata.  I had no problem
displaying the latest GOES-East/West composite IR image and overlaying
it with temperatures.

I did notice that Arlene's McIDAS session is pointed at servers at sites
other than USF:

DATALOC LIST

Group Name                    Server IP Address
--------------------         ----------------------------------------
AMRC                         UWAMRC.SSEC.WISC.EDU
CIMSS                        ADDE.UCAR.EDU
GINICOMP                     ADDE.UCAR.EDU
GINIEAST                     ADDE.UCAR.EDU
GINIWEST                     ADDE.UCAR.EDU
ME7                          IO.SCA.UQAM.CA
MYDATA                       <LOCAL-DATA>
NEXRCOMP                     PAPAGAYO.UNL.EDU
RADRSOIL                     <LOCAL-DATA>
RTGINI                       ADDE.UCAR.EDU
RTGRIDS                      ADDE.UNIDATA.UCAR.EDU
RTIMAGES                     ADDE.UCAR.EDU
RTNEXRAD                     ADDE.UCAR.EDU
RTNIDS                       ADDE.UCAR.EDU
RTPTSRC                      ADDE.UCAR.EDU
RTWXTEXT                     <LOCAL-DATA>
TESTMATT                     <LOCAL-DATA>
TOPO                         <LOCAL-DATA>

So, if she was trying to look at data and the USF or department
network was out, she would have been unsuccessful.

Alternately, if she was logged in on a different workstation, one that
has its own installation of McIDAS, it could be the case that something
is wrong on that workstation.