20030612: NLDN web display at USF

>From: "Happel, Shelly" <address@hidden>

Hi Shelly,

>Sridhara and I are trying to display the real-time lightning data on our
>webserver. We have restricted the access only to the USF domain.

OK.

>We are able to get the page to generate, but it won't display the lightning
>data. The nldndisp.k doesn't seem to be running in the script.
>We have created four files to display the data (please see attached).

OK, I looked at the attached scripts and don't see anything wrong
right off the bat.

>The
>background map will generate, but it doesn't display the lightning data. Any
>ideas as to what we are doing wrong?

My first guess would be that the ADDE server that is being pointed to
for RTPTSRC/LIGHTNING data does not have the data, or, at least,
does not make the data public.

What I would do to troubleshoot is:

- add a line to list out the DATALOCation of the server being pointed
  to for the lightning data

- to tell NLDNDISP to write any output to a log file so you can see what
  it is doing

In:

-- mk_lightning --

  sf.k 1
  batch.k FL 1 LALO X CONF X NO \"BKGMAP.BAT
  nldndisp.k LIG OLAY LATEST GRA=1 BLANK=N0 DAT=RTPTSRC/LIGHTNING SF=YES
  frmsave.k 1
/usr/local/apps/php-apache/htdocs/sridhara/mcidas/gifs/lightning.gif

Add the following line:

  dataloc.k LIST RTPTSRC DEV=TTT nldndisp.log R

Add DEV=TTT nldndisp.log A:

  nldndisp.k LIG OLAY LATEST GRA=1 BLANK=N0 DAT=RTPTSRC/LIGHTNING SF=YES
DEV=TTT nldndisp.log A

Resulting in:

  sf.k 1
  batch.k FL 1 LALO X CONF X NO \"BKGMAP.BAT
  dataloc.k LIST RTPTSRC DEV=TTT nldndisp.log R
  nldndisp.k LIG OLAY LATEST GRA=1 BLANK=N0 DAT=RTPTSRC/LIGHTNING SF=YES
DEV=TTT nldndisp.log A
  frmsave.k 1
/usr/local/apps/php-apache/htdocs/sridhara/mcidas/gifs/lightning.gif

Once we see what DATALOC and NLDNDISP have to say about things, we can
tell why lightning data is not being overlaid data on top of the map
that is created.

By the way, I took the invocations above and ran them in a McIDAS
sesdion that I have that has a DATALOC for RTPTSRC to a server that has
the lightning data.  Everything worked fine (of course, I wrote out the
GIF (tm) file to a different directory).

>Thanks SO much in advance

No worries, this _should_ be an easy thing to figure out.

>and I hope all is sunny and bright in boulder!

The weather has are been pretty nice around here lately.

Tom