20030612: FW: GRIB

>From:  Matthew Lazzara <address@hidden>

Hi Matthew,

re:

>3.  Tom Yoksas at Unidata and Kevin - we have one problem, and I'm not
>clear if the problem is with the GRIB coding or with the McIDAS
>converter software (GRIBDEC).  The forecast runtime & day is being set
>to the forecast validtime & day in the McIDAS GRID files that are being
>created.  This makes for a mess with the number of GRID files created (I
>ought to have 1 file per day per domain for the model output in McIDAS,
>I've got several).  This problem will make it hard to keep a series of
>AMPS runs available via ADDE.  Tom - can you help isolate where this
>problem is so either you/I can tackle it in GRIBDEC or if the problem is
>with the GRIB files we can have Kevin patch it up??  Tom, please let me
>know if you don't have time to look into this at all..
>Hi!  I'm finally replying to you about this...and yes, I'm now "using"
>them.  I've setup something that grabs the AMPS GRIB data and converts
>it into McIDAS GRID files.  For those on the CC list of this e-mail, the
>data is available via the ADDE dataset: AMRC on the workstation/server
>ice.ssec.wisc.edu (in McIDAS-X type DATALOC ADD AMRC ice.ssec.wisc.edu
>and then run a DSINFO G AMRC and GRDLIST AMRC/AMPS FORM=FILE ALL to see
>the one model run that I do have there now). I do have the following
>questions and concerns for a few different folks:

My initial inclination is that there is not because the code mods I
made for the GRIBDEC bundle have been incorporated into the McIDAS-XCD
core and are being used at a variety of sites to decode all of the grib
data in the NOAAPORT broadcast.  Also, the folks at JSC are using my
latest GRIBDEC bundle to decode model data they grab by FTP from the
NWS.  It seems to me that if there was something as seriously wrong
with the code as you are reporting, then someone else would have
noticed it also.

Please give me access to one or more files of grib data for which you
see this problem and I will check to see if there is anything in the
GRIBDEC code that could be causing it.