20030521: mcidas/tru64 unix/DEC Alpha (cont.)

>From: "Dan A. Dansereau" <address@hidden>

Hi Dan,

>   basically at this stage I'm back to a stock ldm, ldm-mcidas, and
>mcidas, all re-installed in clean directories.

OK.

>The area files seem
>to be in the /var/data/mcidas directory, however in mcidas, and using
>the mcgui, if I request a plot with a loop for example with the
>GW-IR, I only get a image in the 10 frame, with the other 9 blank
>screens flashing by.

You can check your McIDAS installation by pointing at a remote ADDE
server that has the data and datasets and then doing the loop out of
the MCGUI.  Try this as follows:

- Click on the ADDE Client Routing Config button (just to the right of
  the button with the big Z)

- click on the IMAGE tab header

- select ADDE.UCAR.EDU as the ADDE server for the RTIMAGES dataset

- click on the Update and Exit button

After this, your McIDAS session will go to the remote server on
ADDE.UCAR.EDU to get its RTIMAGES data.  Once again try putting up the
loop of images.  If this works, and it should, the problem is that you
are not saving 10 of the images you want to load on your own machine.

>In addition, I only get the latest image, on both
>the plot and on a data availability list. So I was checking to see
>which area files ( i.e: AREA 130-139 ) was getting updated. Only
>the 130 file ever changed, and 131-139 is missing. I'm not sure
>if I have messed up ldm, ldm-mcidas , or mcidas. my guess is the
>ROUTE.SYS - however, I can't seem to fix it.

OK, so the problem is that you either do not have a writable copy of
ROUTE.SYS and SYSKEY.TAB in the directory in which the ldm-mcidas
decoder pnga2area wants to write its output, or that the copy
of ROUTE.SYS that is in that output directory is damaged.  To
check this, do the following:

<as 'mcidas>

cd workdata
dmap.k ROUTE.SYS

Is the director listed the one in which you setup pnga2area to write
its output?  If not, copy ROUTE.SYS, SYSKEY.TAB, AND SCHEMA to that
directory AND make sure that they are all set to have read/write
privilege for the users 'mcidas', 'mcadde', and 'ldm'.

Once the files have been copied to the appropriate directory, check
to make sure 'mcidas' can read/write them:

<still as 'mcidas'>
cd ~/workdata
route.k LIST C

ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> address@hidden
  cd put/mcidas/data
  get WF_RTE.BAT
  quit

batch.k WF_RTE.BAT

route.k LIST C

You should see two new entries in your routing table, those for the
Northern and Southern hemisphere wildfire ABBA products that will be
added to the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream early this summer.

>From address@hidden Wed May 21 09:28:30 2003

>   P.S. on the last email, I'm back to just using
>the MCGUI, rtimages, and loop on a GW-IR gui. I'm assuming
>that the base software build the appropriate area files,
>after executing the DROUTE.BAT file, with the proper
>redirections made, and the ROUTE.SYS in the /var/data/mcidas
>directory.

The datasets have to also be defined so that the collection of AREA
files that contain GOES-West IR images will be recognized as
RTIMAGES/GW-IR, etc.  This is done by:

<as 'mcidas'>

cd ~/data
cp DSSERVE.BAT LSSERVE.BAT
<edit LSSERVE.BAT and make any needed modifications like commenting out
the definitions for datasets that you will not have on your own
machine, etc.>
cd ~/workdata
batch.k LSSERVE.BAT

Now the ADDE datasets should be setup, and _if_ you have all of the
images for the various datasets, you will be able to load loops.

Please remember to change the pointing of RTIMAGES back to your
local machine.  This is most easily done out of the ADDE Client Routing
Config GUI available in the MCGUI (as outlined above).