20030317: McIDAS v2002b install problem

>From: address@hidden

Hi Tom,

>I'm attempting to install McIDAS 2002b (updating some lab
>machines during spring break). I am getting the following
>error under the netcdf portion of the build (see below).
>
>I got this error on the lab machines which just had the latest
>version of Redhat 8 installed, as well as on cacimbo, which
>has been running with a patched version of RedHat 7.0 for
>three years.
>
>I looked at the archive, but didn't come up with anything
>to help. Any suggestions?

I would say that your problem is that several Unix environment variables
have not been defined.  The Notes and Warnings page for the Unidata
McIDAS-X installation lists the defines for Linux users as:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/2002/mcx/warnings_mcx.html

-- Vendor supplied compilers --
setenv CC /usr/bin/cc
setenv CPPFLAGS "-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran"
setenv CFLAGS -O
setenv FC ~mcidas/mcidas2002/src/mcfc
setenv FFLAGS "-O -Nx400 -w"
setenv CXX

-- GNU gcc and g77 --
setenv CC gcc
setenv CPPFLAGS "-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran"
setenv CFLAGS -O
setenv FC g77
setenv FFLAGS "-O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic"
setenv CXX

The question you must answer before choosing one of these options
is which compilation environment you are using:

gcc/f2c/mcfc:

setenv CC /usr/bin/cc
setenv CPPFLAGS "-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran"
setenv CFLAGS -O
setenv FC ~mcidas/mcidas2002/src/mcfc
setenv FFLAGS "-O -Nx400 -w"
setenv CXX

gcc/g77:

setenv CC gcc
setenv CPPFLAGS "-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran"
setenv CFLAGS -O
setenv FC g77
setenv FFLAGS "-O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic"
setenv CXX

The PATH in your enviornment must be setup to include the directories where
the compilers are located, of course.

After you set these enviornment variables (it is best to set them in
your shell-specific definition file like .cshrc for C Shell), you should
start the build from scratch:

cd mcidas2002/src
make clobber

Building McIDAS-X only:

make mcx                     <- if building only McIDAS-X using gcc/f2c/mcfc

- or -

make mcx VENDOR=-g77         <- if building only McIDAS-X using gcc/g77

OR

make all                     <- if building McIDAS-X and -XCD using gcc/f2c/mcfc

- or -

make all VENDOR=-g77         <- if building McIDAS-X and -XCD using gcc/g77

Please let me know if you continue to have problems.

>From address@hidden Mon Mar 17 16:03:06 2003

Tom:

This was it. I had the entries in my .cshrc as shown, but had commented
several of the entries out (don't recall why at the moment, probably
something else I was working on). Shoulda caught that.

Both systems were using the same .cshrc file -- home directory is
NFS mounted. So this explains both systems.

Anyway, the build is just about finished now.... actually IS finished.

Thanks.

Tom