20030127: DSSERVE/IMGLIST error message

>From: "Kwan-yin Kong" <address@hidden>

Hi Kwan-yin,

>Hello.  I am encountering an error in McIDAS while trying
>to define a data set using DSSERVE and then list the files
>using IMGLIST.  The data files are GOES-8 images
>downloaded from the SSEC archive having filenames
>'goes8*'.  To define the dataset, I entered the following
>command in McIDAS.
>
>DSSERVE ADD SCOTT/IMAGES DIR='goes8*' TYPE=IMAGE

If the image files are in AREA format, the DSSERVE command line
should be:

DSSERVE ADD SCOTT/IMAGES AREA DIR='goes8*' TYPE=IMAGE

I would also recommend adding an informational text message to the
end of the invocation:

DSSERVE ADD SCOTT/IMAGES AREA DIR='goes8*' TYPE=IMAGE "Scotts images

>It appeared to have executed okay with the following feed
>back.
>
>>>Adding the group SCOTT as a local dataset
>

>>>Group/Descriptor         Type  Format & Range     RT Comment
>
>>>------------------------ ----- ------------------ -- --------------------
>
>>>SCOTT/IMAGES             IMAGE
>
>                                DIRFILE=goes8*
>
>>>DSSERVE: done
>
>      But when I tried to list those images using the
>command
>
>IMGLIST SCOTT/IMAGES
>
>it gave the following error message.
>
>>>Image file directory listing for:SCOTT/IMAGES
>
>>>IMGLIST: ADIRSERV failed on exec of adir
>>>IMGLIST: done

This is caused by ADIRSERV not knowing the type of the image in
the files.  Specification of AREA (if they are, in fact, in AREA format)
as I indicated above is the what ADIRSERV needs to know the type.

>I am mystified by this.  I appreciate your help on this
>problem.

Please let me know if the above mod to your DSSERVE command line doesn't
fix your problem.

Tom