20021115: attempts to setup 'mcidas' acct on allegan to route ADDE (cont.)

>From:  Paul Farrall <address@hidden>

Hi Paul and Rob,

I logged onto allegan this weekend and experimented with the ADDE
data access information in the 'mcidas' account in an attempt to see
if I could get allegan to route other machine's ADDE requests to remote
hosts.  Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful in getting this to work.
Apparently, McIDAS code does not allow for ADDE requests to be chained:
a request for, say, GINIWEST data from one of your lab machines to
allegan will only be treated as a request for GINIWEST data as
LOCAL-DATA on allegan.

Since getting allegan to route ADDE requests did not work (rats!),
we will need to think about how requests can be sent to a proxy server
which will then route both outgoing and incoming ADDE traffic.  This
will take some research and likely code development on my part, so
I ask for your patience.

I wish I could have provided better news...

Tom

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Unidata Support wrote:
US> strikes me that if these machines can NFS mount a disk from Allegan,
US> they should be able to access the ADDE server on Allegan.

That's right.  I believe that the workstations already point to allegan
for some of the ADDE feeds.  Rob can confirm.

US> I would like to get the 'mcidas' login on so I can see
US> if I can setup ADDE services so that they are routed to different
US> machines.  Are you game for this?

Sure.  I enabled the mcidas login on allegan and allowed access for the
machine gale.unidata.ucar.edu.  I'll send you the passwd directly.

Thanks again for all your help.

Paul