20021116: Corrupt ROUTE.SYS and ROUTE PostProcess BATCH files (cont.)

>From: Angel Li <address@hidden>

Angel,

>I've restored my route table but now when the scripts fired off by
>pqact.conf are getting errors. Here's some background: after the route
>table got corrupted, I decided to install mcidas2002. My custom
>GE-VIS.BAT and GE-IR.BAT had to be restored

I suggest putting your locally modified versions of these BATCH files into
the ~mcidas/workdata directory.  That way, they won't be overwritten when
you install a new version of McIDAS.

>but after doing that I
>started getting error messages found in the attached files. These files
>were cut from ROUTEPP.LOG.

>BATCH UI 151 102320 171500 1 "GE-IR.BAT
>SF 1
>GU REST GRAPHIC 1
>GRAPHICS TABLE GRAPHIC.GRX HAS BEEN RESTORED
> LEVEL   COLOR         BLUE  GREEN  RED
> -----  ----------     ----  -----  ---
>    0   BLACK             0      0    0   (Graphic background)
>    1   MAGENTA         255      0  255
>    2   CYAN            255    255    0
>    3   YELLOW            0    255  255
>    4   GREEN             0    255    0
>    5   RED               0      0  255
>    6   BLUE            255      0    0
>    7   WHITE           255    255  255
>    8   GRAY            127    127  127
>GU: Done
>NORTMAPR 9016 151 9993 N1 L 0 9016 ECHO=N
>PRODUCT CODE=N1          2320        173635
>AREA9016 Copied to AREA9993
>AREA9016 Copied to AREA9980
>Virtual Graphic written to Area= 9980
>HOWBIG: THIS IS NOT AN AREA, TYPE IS
>COAREA: THIS IS NOT AN AREA,TYPE IS
>REMAP - BAD AREA SIZE
>NORTEL: ARAOPT mcABORT---INVALID AREA= 220
>NORTEL: Program called mcabort
>NORTMAPR: Output area file was not created - AREA0220
>NORTMAPR: Done

The NORTMAPR sequence in GE-IR.BAT combines "cloudy" portions of a
GOES-East IR (10.7 um) image with a topography image.  The process
is:

o make a copy of the topography image that will be used as a background
o burn a map into the copy of the topography image (optional action)
o remap the GOES-East IR image into the projection of the topography
  image
o combine the remapped GOES-East IR image with the topograhpic image copy

The first two steps above apparently are working correctly as evidenced
by the line that reads "Virtual Graphic written to Area= 9980".  The
next step, however, fails.  This tells me that either the original
GOES-East IR image:

o does not exist
o is damaged
o can not be seen by McIDAS

The most likely reason for the failure is the last possibility.  Since
you had to reload McIDAS after a failure, it is possible/likely that
the set of file REDIRECTions that were defined in your previous installation
were lost.  File REDIRECTions get recorded in a file so that they are
persistent: ~mcidas/workdata/LWPATH.NAM.

Does this file exist?  If not, you will need to recreate they so McIDAS
can once again find your data files.  This is quite easy:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd data
cp EXAMPLE.NAM LOCAL.NAM        <- assuming that LOCAL.NAM does't already exist
<edit LOCAL.NAM to set directory locations to match your installation>
cd ~mcidas/workdata
redirect.k REST LOCAL.NAM

After doing this, test your REDIRECTion for the GOES-East IR images:

dmap.k AREA015

If this works, all processes that use the definitions in the 'mcidas'
account should be able to access the data files.  The PostProcess BATCH
file invocation kicked off by a ROUTE.SYS entry is an example of a process
that will use the definitions in the 'mcidas' account.

>IMGDISP RTIMAGES/GE-IRTOPO 1 LATLON=32 82 EU=TOPOSAT
>IMGDISP: No images satisfy the selection criteria
>IMGDISP: done
>IMGDISP failed, RC=2

This is failing since the combination step, NORTMAPR, failed.

>batch.k: BATCH job abandon /mcidas/data/GE-IR.BAT
>batch.k: BATCH done /mcidas/data/GE-IR.BAT

And so, the BATCH file exits since one of the commands in it exited
abnormally.

>BATCH UV 147 102320 171500 1 "GE-VIS.BAT
>SF 1
>GU REST GRAPHICS
>GU: SPECIFIED FILE DOES NOT EXIST - GRAPHICS.GRX
> LEVEL   COLOR         BLUE  GREEN  RED
> -----  ----------     ----  -----  ---
>    0   BLACK             0      0    0   (Graphic background)
>    1   MAGENTA         255      0  255
>    2   CYAN            255    255    0
>    3   YELLOW            0    255  255
>    4   GREEN             0    255    0
>    5   RED               0      0  255
>    6   BLUE            255      0    0
>    7   WHITE           255    255  255
>    8   GRAY            127    127  127
>GU: Done
>NORTMAPR 9016 147 9993 N2 NONE 0 9016 MAPAREA=9971 DEV=NNN
>GOESCOMP NONE 147 9987 C CV N8 SCRAREA=9978 9979 MAP=YES 9019 9971 DEV=NNN

There are no logging messages in ROUTEPP.LOG because of the DEV=NNN setting
on each of these commands:

DEV=NNN
    |||__ debug output
    ||___ error output
    |____ standard output

You could get more information in ROUTEPP.LOG by setting DEV= to CCC,
but the information you would gather would most likely reflect the
information we have already gleaned from the GE-IR.BAT output above.

>IMGDISP RTIMAGES/GE-VISTOPO 1 LATLON=32 82 EU=TOPOSAT
>IMGDISP: No images satisfy the selection criteria
>IMGDISP: done
>IMGDISP failed, RC=2
>batch.k: BATCH job abandon /mcidas/data/GE-VIS.BAT
>batch.k: BATCH done /mcidas/data/GE-VIS.BAT

So, I think you entire problem is that the McIDAS environment for the user
'mcidas' does not know where to look for the image data files.

The last possibility that I feel compelled to add is that there is the
remote possibility that McIDAS is not able to read the image (AREA) files
that are being created from the Unidata-Wisconsin broadcast.

Tom