20021028: McIDAS 2002 build problem

>From: Harry Edmon <address@hidden>

Hi Harry,

>I am trying to build McIDAS 2002 on a Solaris 8 machine.  When I get to
>building hdf, I get:
>
>cd ../hdf && make
>Making `all' in /home/disk/ldm/mcidas/mcidas2002/hdf/hdf
>Making `libjpeg.a' in /home/disk/ldm/mcidas/mcidas2002/hdf/hdf/jpeg
>c  jcapimin.c
>sh: c: not found
>*** Error code 1 (ignored)
>c  jcapistd.c
>sh: c: not found
>*** Error code 1 (ignored)

Sure seems like the C compiler has somehow been identified as 'c', and not
'cc'.

>Do you know how this happened?

No, this is a first for me.  Can you tell me the value of the following
environment variables in place before you started the McIDAS build:

CC
CFLAGS
CPPFLAGS
FC
FFLAGS

If, you happened to change the values of one or more of these after an
abortive build attempt, you need to do a:

'make clobber'

to remove any output files that have been created.  After doing the
clobber step, you can once again run 'make mcx' (or 'make all').