20021022: Setting up LDM for McIDAS-XCD (cont.)

>From: Richard Massa <address@hidden>

Hi Richard,

re: builds of -X and -XCD on atm20 with different compiler environments
>I did...  I saw a segmentation violation in the START_XCD.LOG file and
>I decided I would try rebuild, and when a rebuild with the -g77 didn't work,
>I figured I would try the gcc/f2c/mcfc option instead.  Neither fixed the
>problem.

I am curious about the command "rebuild with the -g77 didn't work".  I just
built the entire distribution from scratch using the VENDOR=-g77 option
and it worked without a hitch.

>Ahh... I did make clean, and since it did something, I assumed that cleaned up
>the build.  Now I know for future reference.

Yea, the 'clobber' action deletes all of the stuff created from previous
builds.

>So VENDOR=-g77 is the preferred method of building?

It is the method that I am pushing.  After all, I didn't spend all of
those hours fixing McIDAS Fortran subroutines so that g77 could work
for nothing ;-)  FYI, I had to modify about 100 modules to get g77
to build working code.  The problem was the implicit assumption that
variables declared in subroutines were automatically zeroed.  This
is the case for most vendor compilers, but not for g77.

>Thank's for the troubleshooting...

No worries.

>I'm halfway glad it wasn't something terribly easy.

I'm not :-(

>I'll look at permissions as well.

Sounds good.

Tom