20020815: cannot view GINI radar composite created with GEMPAK in McIDAS (cont.)

>From: "Robert Mullenax" <address@hidden>

Robert,

>I sent it to the incoming directory on umcidas's ftp account
>on ftp.unidata.ucar.edu.  It is rad_20020815_1608.

OK, got it.

>Strangely enough I just discovered, I can't view it in
>GEMPAK either.  Since I am not saving all the radar data I need
>yet at NSBF I made it at Universal using GEMPAK5.6f on a
>RH7.2 Linux box (the Beowulf cluster).

I just copied the file from the incoming directory to my McIDAS working
directory; created an ADDE dataset from it; and then listed and
displayed it successfully in McIDAS-X v2002a on our Sun Solaris SPARC
5.6 system.  Here are the details:

cp ~umcidas/incoming/rad_20020815_1608 ~mcidas/workdata

<in a McIDAS-X v2002a session>
DSSERVE ADD TEST/GINI GINI TYPE=IMAGE DIRFILE=/home/mcidas/workdata/rad* "TEST
GINI IMAGES FROM NSBF
IMGLIST TEST/GINI
Image file directory listing for:TEST/GINI
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
   1  RADAR         15 AUG 02227  16:08:00     TWX    26
IMGLIST: done

IMGDISP TEST/GINI STA=TWX EU=TOPS MAG=-2 REFRESH='EG;MAP H'
Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 570424
IMGDISP: loaded frame  1
EG;MAP H
IMGDISP: done
Erased graphic frame(s) 1-1
MAP: Completed frame 1

FRMSAVE 1 ginitops.gif

You can look at the GIF created at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/tom/gifs/ginitops.gif

>I ftp'ed it to my home machine (binary mode) a Sun Ultra 5.

I was going to suggest that you might have created the ADDE dataset
incorrectly indicating that the image should be in AREA format, but if
that were the case you should get an error message from IMGLIST that
looks like:

DSSERVE ADD TEST/AREA AREA TYPE=IMAGE DIRFILE=/home/mcidas/workdata/rad* "TEST
GINI DATASET INCORRECTLY TAGGED AS AREA

Group/Descriptor         Type  Format & Range     RT Comment
------------------------ ----- ------------------ -- --------------------
TEST/AREA                IMAGE AREA                  TEST GINI DATASET INCORRECT
                                                     LY TAGGED AS AREA
                               DIRFILE=/home/mcidas/workdata/rad*
DSSERVE: done

IMGLIST TEST/AREA
Image file directory listing for:TEST/AREA
IMGLIST: No images satisfy the selection criteria
IMGLIST: done
IMGLIST failed, RC=2

I am not sure why you are getting:

IMGLIST: Nominal start date is out of range    909194545

I even went so far as to IMGCOPY the image from the TEST/GINI dataset
to a local AREA dataset and then ran IMGLIST on the copy:

IMGCOPY TEST/GINI MYDATA/IMAGES.1235 SIZE=ALL
Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 889024
Transferring AREA data outbound, bytes= 889104
IMGCOPY: TEST/GINI.1 copied to MYDATA/IMAGES.1235
IMGCOPY: done

IMGLIST MYDATA/IMAGES.1235
Image file directory listing for:MYDATA/IMAGES
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
1235  RADAR         15 AUG 02227  16:08:00     TWX    26
IMGLIST: done

So, at least the image you sent me looks OK!?

Tom

>From address@hidden Thu Aug 15 12:19:12 2002

Hmm..let me try it again.   I didn't make an ADDE dataset
from it..duh..I just copied it into an AREA file # and did an
imglist.k MYDATA/IMAGES..geez.  I will do it correctly this time.

Thanks,
Robert

>From address@hidden Thu Aug 15 12:22:59 2002

Okay, never mind.  It does work when you do it the right way!  Now I have
to see why it didn't work in GARP.

Thanks,
Robert