20020724: McIDAS-X & XCD (cont.)

>From: "Fingerhut, William A" <address@hidden>

Bill,

>I don't see anything wrong with MCPATH, but I am not an expert.

The environment variable settings you sent along look good to me as well.
This makes the creation of GROUPS.DAT and COUNTRY.DAT in ~mcidas/data
all the more bewildering.  If there is no REDIRECTion in place, a
file should get written to the first writable directory in a user's
MCPATH.  Since you noted that there is no REDIRECTion for either of the
files in question, them getting created in ~mcidas/data/ instead
of ~mcidas/workdata would mean that your ~mcidas/workdata is not writable
by you.  This would make no sense at all.

>Mcidas's environment is as follows:
>
>fingerhutb@foxfire:~> su - mcidas
>Password:

Hmm...  Perhaps what may be going on is that you became 'mcidas'
to work on the installation using a 'su mcidas' instead of an
'su - mcidas'?  Just grasping at straws here...

>[mcidas@foxfire ~]$ env | sort
>DISPLAY=:12.0
>HOME=/home/mcidas
>HOST=foxfire.lsc.vsc.edu
>HOSTNAME=foxfire.lsc.vsc.edu
>HOSTTYPE=i386-linux
>LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib
>LOGNAME=mcidas
>MCCOMPRESS=TRUE
>MCDATA=/home/mcidas/workdata
>MCGUI=/home/mcidas/bin
>MCHOME=/home/mcidas
>MCPATH=/home/mcidas/workdata:/home/mcidas/data:/home/mcidas/help
>MCTABLE_READ=/home/mcidas/workdata/MCTABLE.TXT;/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT
>MCTABLE_WRITE=/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT
>McINST_ROOT=/home/mcidas
>OSTYPE=linux
>PATH=/home/mcidas/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11
>SHELL=/bin/tcsh
>USER=mcidas

(I deleted environment variables that were not pertinent.)

>Do you see anything wrong here ?

No, that what is puzzling.

>I will ask Steven about you logging in. That may be the most
>efficient route to go. I'll let you know soon.

Yes, I think that this would be the quickest way for me to figure out
what the problem is.

Tom