20020723: XCD in double-time

>From: Anthony James Wimmers <address@hidden>

Tony,

>I think I see that our data is coming in in two streams,
>because the symptoms on our webpage are the same, and
>there are two startxcd.k programs active.

There will always be two instances of startxcd.k running: one is the parent
of the other and basically sleeps all of the time.  The thing to look
for is more than one invocation of any of the XCD data monitors:

ps -eaf | grep DM

>Can you run
>down the process of stopping both programs and resarting
>properly? Thanks,

XCD is started with the LDM.  It is stopped with the LDM, so the process
is:

<login as 'ldm'>
ldmadmin stop

After running this, repeatedly run 'ps' commands looking for instances
of rpc.ldmd (the LDM process that moves data from upstream hosts and to
downstream hosts).  These should all exit eventually.  Ones feed from a
host on a slow connection will take longer to exit than ones connected
to fast upstream connections.

When all rpc.ldmd processes have exited, you should again check for XCD
processes (all end in .k) again using 'ps'.  If you still have XCD process
running, it would mean that more than one LDM invocation was running.
This might happen if someone accidentally started an LDM as 'root' (which
is BAD!).

Once everything has stopped, restart the LDM with:

ldmadmin start