20020626: Unidata McIDAS installation

>From: Arindam Ghosh <address@hidden>

Arindam,

>I've downloaded mcidasx780.tar.Z (54.5MB in size) file from your website
>http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/780/index.html.

>Next most probably I've to access the McIDAS-X distribution which is passward
>protected.Will you please tell me how I can access McIDAS-X
>distribution.

The mcidasx780.tar.Z file is the McIDAS source distribution.  Since you have
already downloaded it, you are ready to start the build, installation,
and configuration process for McIDAS.  To learn how to do this, start
at the Unidata McIDAS-X 7.80 HomePage:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/780

and work your way through the 'Installation and Configuration'
sections:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/780/mcx/mcidas-x.html

The most important part of the initial McIDAS setup is setting up
your shell definition file (e.g., .cshrc for C shell, .profile for Bourne
shell, etc.), so please pay special attention to the instructions
on what needs to be defined.  The other part that trips up a lot of
users on Sun Solaris systems (both SPARC and x86) is configuring the
operating system to allow more than the default amount of shared memory.
This is covered in the 'Initial Preparations' section:

Initial Preparations
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/780/mcx/prepare_mcx.html
  Prepare the Workstation
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/780/mcx/workstation.html

and must be completed by your system administrator ('root').

>With regrads.
>
>Arindam Ghosh
>Junior Research Fellow
>Electronics and Communication Sciences Unit
>Indian Statistical Institute,203, B.T. Road
>Calcutta:700108,West Bengal, India

Tom Yoksas