20020612: GRIBDEC tests for AMPS grib messages at the UPC (cont.)

>From:  Matthew Lazzara <address@hidden>

Matthew,

I checked into why McIDAS is unable to plot decoded AMPS grib messages,
and I don't like what I found!

Two things:

1) McIDAS does not know how to deal with gridded data in Polar
   Stereographic projection that is not in the Northern Hemisphere!

2) the XCD grib decoder does not decode or store the hemisphere that
   PS grids lie in

This is incredible to me!!

So, what to do?  It seems that to use the AMPS grib data in McIDAS, two
code mods have to be made, one in the XCD decoding and one in the
navigation code for grids.  I will try and set aside the time to make
the mods so that they make it into my McIDAS V2002 release.  I will
also retrofit the mods to my 7.8x release.  Lastly, I will update the
SSEC CVS with the mods so that they can be incorporated in a
Fasttrack.  Exactly when I will be able to get to this is unknown,
because (like I said before) I am swamped.

Color me (once again) frustrated by McIDAS.

Tom

Previous email: