20020529: McIDAS ADDE Port Usage

>From: "Steven E. McKee" <address@hidden>

Steve,

>While configuring the mcadde account on our new server foxfire.lsc.vsc.edu, I
>found that Port 500 was already assigned in /etc/services as follows:
>
>       pim-rp-disc     496/udp
>       isakmp          500/tcp
>       sakmp           500/udp
>       gdomap          538/tcp
>
>Can I use another Port Number e.g. 501 for the mcadde server Port?

No, you have to use port 500.  The conflict in port usage is a design
weakness in ADDE, but we have to live with it nonetheless.  My
recommendation is to comment out the isakmp entries in /etc/services
(port 500) and also make sure that there is no conflict for port
503.  After making changes in /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf, you
will need to send a HUP to the inetd process.

Tom Yoksas